1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS FB coach fired, "God's will" cited as reason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which begs the question, who is God's SID? John Heisler?

2. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I think Angels handle baseball only.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

If that's so, why didn't He warn somebody about Nick Saban?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I always wondered what happened to Casey Wheldon (isn't that how it's spelled?).

"Fired by God" was not high on my list of possibilities.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Clearly if God wanted that little school in Florida to win with Weldon as coach, it would have happened by now. Those losses in the title game, essentially related to an event of such insignificance that it's, what, maybe 6th biggest out of 6 in one small state relative to the rest of the world, are a clear sign of God's investment in smalltime high school sports in that corner of the world. And the time to act was clearly now, not tomorrow, lest alligators suddenly invade the weight room to get the point across.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

According to what I've been told, you've just summed up the point of view of the pastor at North Florida Baptist Church.

7. Imagine the possibilties.

"Now THAT guy got fired!"

How many people can clainm they were fired by God?
    Off hand I can think of only two people: Satan and Casey.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well that's some bullshit.

"Here's your check, now we need to give us at least 10 percent of it and your wife's paycheck or you're a heathen."

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I believe Casey's primary job was at his father's construction company and paid him well into six figures.

And Bubbs ... No h in Weldon.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's even worse.

"Yeah, we know we're only paying you a part-time salary but we need to you to tithe every penny you make. Oh, shoot, why don't you just hand that check back to us plus another $5,000 and we'll call it even."

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can see an upcoming episode when a talented player shrugs off a loss by saying it was God's will.
    Coach Taylor:
    "Well my God is telling me if you dove for that interception and didn't get called for unsportsmanlike conduct we would have won that game. My God is telling me if I don't win more football games Buddy Garrity and his pals are going to fire my ass." "Now whaddya think of that?"

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Contacted through the SID office, Nick Saban denied he had anything to do with the firing.

Draft saved Draft deleted