1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS FB coach fired, "God's will" cited as reason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Dec 19, 2007.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

http://www.tallahassee.com/special/blogs/bgabordi/2007/12/nfc-takes-blame-shifting-to-divine.html

Casey Weldon, a graduate of North Florida Christian School, coached the football team for the last two years, taking them to the state championship game both years.

After the season ended, the head of the school and church didn't renew his contractm citing the only reason as "it was God's will."

This has been a huge topic in Tallahassee, where Weldon grew up and also played QB for FSU.

He was a popular coach there and apparently most kids and players loved him.

I went to high school with him and am stunned this happened. I didn't like it when Randy Ray took over (after my time as a student had passed) and think that Weldon deserved a tangible reason.

2. Well, thank you for my morning faith-based stupidity.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sounds like code for "got caught molesting a student."

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah. It's code for "typical North Florida Christian." The comments section is illuminating.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No offense, Cadet, but that is a hell of a leap to attach a guy's name to that, even on a message board.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just thank goodness he wasn't coaching at North Florida Madrasa.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Sweet. Maybe God's Will means didn't cover the spread and someone lost their ass.

Silly Christians and their belief systems.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

God spoke to them about a coach?
    Jumpin Jeebus...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the reporters all have missed the story. How did God exhibit his will? Burning bush? Disembodied hand writing on a wall?

Or perhaps losing twice in the state final is evidence enough.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I'm sure god gives a shit about Class A football in Florida.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point. Probably send an angel or a cheerful monk at best to handle that.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Or an angels grad assistant or intern.

Draft saved Draft deleted