1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS cheerleaders "execute" mock rival cheerleaders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Oct 14, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Unpossible to avoid, devil.

I don't disagree with you that this skit went too far, but I'm also very much in agreement with Mikey that too many parents and teachers have swung the pendulum so far in the direction of "overprotection" that it's just as harmful to kids as what you're advocating.

That said, this was a dumb decision. Shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Poor example. By that rationale, why have newspapers? Why have comedians? Why have entertainment?

Everybody is offended by everything. People need to get their fucking toes stepped on once in a while.

I realize I'm taking a leap with your sentence, but the point remains the same. If everyone did things based on whether or not someone would be offended, the world would stop turning.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We won't agree on this, primarily because -- and this is just from reading your posts, so forgive me if I'm reading too far into them -- we're of completely different mindsets.

I believe if you do everything with the main purpose of not offending someone, you're left with nothing to do, at least nothing that hasn't been done or said 1 million times before. You wanna throw out the standard "Go, Team, Go," that's cool. But if you want to be creative, you might need to toe a line sooner or later. This one, with the way it was presented, didn't seem harmful at all.

There's an old South Park episode that I couldn't help but think of when I typed that last paragraph. It was the Christmas episode where the parents wanted to take all the offensive material -- religious symbols, Santa and the Christmas trees, etc., (for the Jewish people) -- away from the school play because it was possibly offensive to a group. When everything was settled, there was nothing Christmas-esque about the holiday.

That might be a bit extreme, but I also don't see it too far off from what will eventually happen if we continue to play the mediator in every aspect of the next generation's lives. You take away all the sprinkles from life, and you're left with Vanilla Bean, "the blandest one of them all."

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You seriously don't see anything harmful with high school cheerleaders doing a skit the depicts execution-style killings of a rival school's cheerleaders?

I understand your sentiments about concerns about offending people, and being overly protective of teenagers, but it seems this isn't the issue with which to fight that fight.

5. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Shit happens. This, too, shall pass.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Agreed. There is obviously too far, and that is obviously too far. We still get to bust that, right?

7. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Saw this once on a talk show, and it made my mouth drop because it is so true. These are not my words, but I cannot agree with them more:

"If you saw something today that offended you, you should be thankful because it means you are living in a free society."

If you don't understand those words, then you just don't get it.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

One inconsistency -- I've never seen execution-style shootings in Western movies. Duels, yes. Shootouts, yes. Not execution-style shootings, so they are off on that.

Good for the kids who seemed to write a level-headed editorial about the skit. It didn't seem too far off-base, and it didn't seem like your typical PC complaint. The school should have allowed it to run. And if some students had a complaint about the skit, then those arguments should not be dismissed so quickly by the school because -- after all -- those are their own students.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The lead to me is, not the crime ... it's the cover-up.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes.

The entire episode from the cheer to the editorial was handled poorly.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And I think that type of discussion is exactly the type of thing the school should have encouraged rather than smothered. The school really missed an opportunity to have students engage in a good debate about this issue, no matter which side you fall on.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

FOR GOD SAKES!!!!!!! WHO IS THINKING OF THE CHILDREN?!? WE MUST PROTECT THEM FROM SUCH DEBATE!!!!! NEXT THING YOU KNOW, THEY'LL BE TAKING THE BAR EXAM!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted