1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS basketball star leaves Israeli pro team early

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The first thing any American player signing to play in a Euro league should buy is a round trip ticket to the U.S.

If things go wrong, you'll need it.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Never heard of him.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/74287/

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

First of all, his parents are morons for even letting him consider foregoing his senior year of HS to play basketball in a foreign country. Any parents who have that little sense shouldn't have procreated in the first place because it's a recipe for disaster.

Next, how smart is it to stick an 18-year-old kid with what sounds like absolutely zero maturity who is probably not quite as developed as the pro players in the pro league? He's lucky that he is still in one piece and didn't get seriously injured.

Another question...this "adviser" Sonny Vaccaro sounds a little too much like an agent to me. If he decided to do the smart thing and go to college, would he even be able to really participate or would they consider him to be paying an agent and therefore forfeit his amateur status?

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The next Ousmane Cisse.

Or worse, the next Taj McDavid.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NCAA and National Federation of High School Associations should utterly ban Sonny Vaccaro from setting foot in any gym under the control of any member institution.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

As much as people are highlighting that this overseas experiment can work (i.e. Jennings), Tyler's case also needs to be significantly noted.

That, in all likelihood, really damages his career. He went and came back empty-handed, never a good thing, and I didn't hear one single positive during his time over there.

Really speaks volumes about Jennings' maturity and poise to handle what, I can imagine, is a difficult circumstance.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Vaccaro is one of the criminals behind the rise of the shoe companies in college and high school athletics.

Disgustingly, local (now national) radio idiots in Los Angeles insist on having him on with regularity, and agree as he spouts off about "The kids!" Weaselly little troll, he is.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Jennings could handle the transition because he had one year of pro experience at Oak Hill.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Can't believe I didn't notice this the first time. His agent played for U-M before transfering to UNC.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

In the end, it doesn't really work no matter what.
    Because the European owners might get hoodwinked into thinking it's some kind of big media deal, but the coaches want to win games, not develop American teenagers who'll be gone as soon as they're eligible for the NBA draft.

Draft saved Draft deleted