1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS basketball star leaves Israeli pro team early

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Jeremy Tyler leaves Maccabi Haifa after a season full of hissy fits. Another player who thought he was entitled to much more, but will be lucky to hold a job at McDonald's in a few years.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2010-03-19-972174040_x.htm

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What the hell does he do now?

Way to walk out on a $140,000 contract. Shit. I guess he has to sit out for a year and try and enter the NBADL, but he probably isn't good enough to do that.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can't believe they drove him away with Biden visiting. Way to piss away generations of goodwill Israel.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I wouldn't say that Tyler is done. Brandon Jennings didn't necessarily acquit himself well in Europe, and he's doing OK.

But this should cause some deep thought for high school ballers who decide to go to Europe in lieu of high school or their year of college -- Europe pro ball is fucking tough, and they don't have time for your shit.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not only do they "not have time for your shit," American players are frequently seized upon as public scapegoats and whipping boys the instant anything goes wrong with the team -- not only by fans and media, but by the owners and coaches, too.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kid needs to learn the ways of the real world.

You're getting paid $140 grand and you walk out? Real smart. Just collect your money and sit on the bench for two months. Keep your fingers crossed that an NBA team will still want you.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The "collect your money" part will be the hard part. In non-American pro sports, if you ain't playin', they quit payin'.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then that's when he should have walked. Until then, collect the check.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

Maybe Brandon Jennings didn't play as much as he wanted to in Europe or put up the numbers people expected him to, but his year in Italy was not disaster. Those involved will tell you Jennings did just fine for himself in Italy. Folks who did their homework, namely the Bucks, knew that. For the most part, Jennings was not a malcontent, enjoyed his time there and learned to play a different way through practice, both on his own and with the team. You'll be hard pressed to find someone in Italy speak negatively about Jennings' year.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wouldn't want to play in front of some of those crowds in Europe. Just as bad as soccer.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It really takes a good situation to make the foreign thing work out. While I admire Jennings and Tyler for giving it a shot, I hope their decisions don't lead to a wave of knee-jerk sequels from others. The chances of finding a team that pays on time aren't that great.

12. tmr

tmr Member

I think he got a bad rap for fleeing for Italy but Brandon Jennings is actually a pretty nice dude and seems kind of down to earth for his station in life. (His interview in GQ this month was pretty funny) He had his mom and sibling live with him there. He just didn't play as much as you'd think, but it's not hard to see why he didn't. Travel is brutal, everything's foreign, literally and figuratively, you're not going to get any calls and you're playing with grown-ass men. And no one is coddling you, like in the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted