1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS AD quits because of parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 9, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is the AD of perhaps the biggest high school in the Cleveland area, and definitely the most successful Cleveland-area public school, sportswise, in the last few years:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1194600895307530.xml&coll=2

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

God, what a wuss. It's freaking boys' soccer!

Go play intramurals, brutha.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That may be true, but it would really be nice to have the superintendent chide the parents for being a bunch of little punks at the next board meeting.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Life's too short to put up with assholes when you can find other professions.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Plain Dealer breaks another story! :)

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Presuming you were being sarcastic there. Parents once again get their way, like spoiled 2-year-old children. Seriously, have any of these parents matured beyond, say, 12?

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

From the story:

The guy was a Navy veteran who came out of retirement. So I think it was more of, "I'm too old for this crap, screw it!", than being a wuss -- which, admittedly, my first thought.

If the Plain Dealer is wise, they'll do a long follow up, talk to parents, link this to a larger piece on increasing parental interference and pressure.

EDIT: Apparently the whole issue was over some technical issue involving when certain players were academically eligible. Here's a hint, parents: Tell your kids to maintain that 2.5 GPA (or whatever) and there won't be any issues.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But they work SO HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Until someone opens a book, then they scurry for the door.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I really do not all the background of the story, but it looks like the AD screwed up. An email with the academic status of the players in question could have erased a lot of problems.

Sounds like this school district went on a six-week grading system instead of the traditional nine-weeks.

10. My middle son fenced through HS and college.
    In fencing, parents are specifically banned from the competition floor.
    I believe this is a very good rule.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

FB:

What did your son fence? Stereo equipment? Hubcaps? Rolexes?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

12. The lower 40, actually.
    (I've heard them all, sock. Trust me.)

Draft saved Draft deleted