1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hruby on Sports Welfare

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Dec 12, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A very strong piece, but the best part for me was the link to the Taylor Branch article on college sports. I knew it was out there but hadn't gotten around to reading it. An incredibly thorough job showing where the bodies are buried.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Paraphrasing John Wanamaker,

'50% of every ad budget is wasted. But nobody knows which 50%.'

typo

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As others noted, very well written (I liked the "Songbird County Board of Directors" joke) and a great reference piece with links to other essays on various sports welfare boondoggles.

Also, I'll have to check out "Sports on Earth" more often. That's a really solid web site.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of off on a slight tangent - but driving around today listening to the radio and hearing various sports stories made me think that maybe the sports bubble is closer than we think to "popping." And the people who are supposed to know these things, know it.

It would explain the constant conference shuffling as schools worry that the music is going to stop and they're going to be locked into a conference without a good TV deal.

It would explain conferences continuing to woo schools - maybe they are worried the networks won't increase upcoming TV deals because they aren't paying off as things are now.

It would explain the NFL talking about expanding the playoffs. They have to think up new ways to "improve value" in their TV packages.

It would explain the NHL lockout. The owners are locked into big contracts that they suddenly don't think they can cover.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This was wonderful. It was engaging, informative and thoughtful. Mostly, though, it was important, which I don't often say about sports articles.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I just saw a story yesterday, in Albany, NY, I think, that cable subscribers who do *not* pay ESPN, still spend $5 in each bill for it.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

How has Starman not commented on this story yet? It's right in his wheelhouse.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted