1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HR Derby - nobody cares but...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The trampoline and the crane stunts are flat-out dangerous.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know, I know ... it's all fun and games until the Crazy Hot-Dog Vendor puts an eye out.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the Cano Controversy gets even more awesomer:

Selig now wants a rule that the home city slugger gets an automatic entry into the HR Derby.

And the union director says ESPN may not like it because another star would get excluded.

Which leaves us with this question: Who controls the HR Derby? Baseball or ESPN?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar12/story/_/id/8154165/major-league-baseball-considers-home-run-derby-rule-change-robinson-cano-booing

Not to mention, but what happens when the hometown city only has a pitcher as representation? Are they going to bring an extra guy in from the home city? That may end up being more embarrasing if the host is a crappy club whose best hitter isn't a HR hitter.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Just in time for the New York All-Star Game. Brilliant.

And didn't you realize? ESPN controls all major sports now.

5. Sammi

Sammi Member

Potential Baseballtown All Star Festivities Lawsuits for $600 please, Alex?

Bucky the Beaver's balls get caught in the ball-picker-upper.

Written through tears after listening to the Brett story.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It should be pointed out that in the last seven HR Derbies, only once has the home team had an entrant -- Pujols in St. Louis in three years ago. This isn't a new thing.

There have been 27 Derbies. 13 have been without a hometown guy.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But we can't have people booing Yankees. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!!!

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Orlando didn't have a participant in the Slam Dunk Contest last year, and no one lost their mind over that.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Maybe because they didn't have one particular player to blame for the oversight. Cano set up nicely as the villain here -- and he's a Yankee, which is always an added bonus when you decide to boo someone.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

HR Derby is a tough watch on TV.

However I took my son to it on Monday in KC. Great seats. In person, it is freaking awesome. A perfect memory for us.

Draft saved Draft deleted