1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HP laptops - A recall...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This is part whining, part caution.

I'm packaging up my HP laptop and sending it in for a repair, on HP's dime. Without getting too technical, there was an error in the BIOS which caused the cooling fan to run incorrectly. Even though my computer's warranty is expired, it still qualifies for the free repair.

First the wireless goes, then the motherboard.

If you've purchased an HP or Compaq laptop within the last year or two, I would go to this site and check to see if your laptop is on the list:

HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario v3000/v6000 Series Notebook PCs - HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement

This has been a huge aggravation because of the amount of STUFF I've had to back up, and double-check I backed up. Thankfully, I bought myself a 320GB external hard drive for my birthday. Just didn't think it'd be so critical to have so soon.

So now I'll be without my computer for a week or two (I'm figuring at least two to avoid any disappointment now) and I'll have to fight my kids for the desktop. Ugh. I'll be without my personal e-mail for the most part, I'll be able to check it on the Web, but anything that's saved will have to wait for the return of my baby laptop.

HP was pretty cool about it, but be warned. If you do fall under the recall, my call to them was about 45 minutes as they did remote tests to my computer - I had to connect my laptop to the Internet with the ethernet cable.

I'm going to finish packing up my baby, computer, then figure out what to do. Mr. Rosie figures I'll be totally lost until it returns.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So do the rest of us....
    Hey, you could kick back... watch a little TV...

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Rosie. My HP laptop is not one of the models listed thankfully but it was good to check. Hope your 2 weeks passes quickly. :-[

4. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Great, I have a HP Pavilion dv9000.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

D
    Damn it. So do I.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Gateway is having problems with the cooling fan, too, on its M-Series models.

I already have returned mine to be "fixed" and it still is making the whirring, this-is-too-hot noise.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That sucks, Rosie. Hope everything comes back OK.

My Compaq Presario isn't listed there, but I think I might as well finally get that external hard drive just in case. I was headed to Fry's today anyway ...

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I never heard about this. I have a dv2000 that I got back a week ago for repairs. It fried about 1.5 months ago, and I suspected the cooling fan because it always ran hot, but never got official word from HP. The motherboard, I'm guessing, is what went but I'd hate to have to send it back again. Thanks for the heads up.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I have a v2000 ... not on the list, but having cooling issues. Fucking super.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My HP is a Pavilion dv9417.

This recall or "limited extended warranty" or whatever the heck they're calling it isn't something that's been highly publicized. Since I did register my laptop, I received an e-mail from HP back in March (I think) about this, but I was too busy getting settled in my then-new job. Last week, my wireless died. Just quit. So, knowing a very little bit about computers, I did everything I could to get the wireless working. Nothing worked. I even fired up Mr. Rosie's (new) laptop to see if the wireless was working. It was.

So I started doing some digging and found a message board (it's amazing the number of computer geek boards out there) and found some talk about this problem. First the wireless goes, then the motherboard.

From what I understand, the motherboard will be replaced. My computer would get so hot at times it hurt to touch it. Did some monkeying with speeds and all, but nothing seemed to work. The BIOS update did seem to help, but I'm guessing the damage was already done.

Those of you who have computers on that list, I would call HP ASAP. I would also back up all your data immediately.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Ugh. Thanks for the heads-up.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

WOW!!!

I've been sitting in a corner, shaking and mumbling.....

Ok, so that's not completely true. I have been managing (barely) without my laptop. Just got home a little while ago, checked my e-mail and there was an e-mail from HP - they've shipped my laptop and it's scheduled to arrive via FedEx tomorrow.

Is that unreal or what?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that not only it really does arrive tomorrow but that it's in perfect working order.

Draft saved Draft deleted