1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How's your high school football season going?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 2, 2013.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I kind of also wish Texas would adopt a hosting formula for at least the first round. With as many teams making the playoffs, district champions should get a reward of some type, and that should be the option to host a first-round game. I know some can't for various reasons (schools use shared stadiums, some school have limited press box, limited seating, etc...). But because playoff teams are encouraged to find neutral sites, we sometimes have schools 10 miles apart traveling 50 miles just to find a neutral site.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Finishing third's not bad, either. You're at a 2-seed in the first round and those games are generally toss-ups. Then you get a 1-seed at your place in round 2.

3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Henry, our high school football season is going well. Thank you for asking.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

And in an added twist, we took our first varsity basketball call tonight. Sheesh.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Aw hell, 2under, you're behind. We've been taking hoops calls from a local Christian school that doesn't play football for the past two weeks. They've already played six games, all against home-school teams.

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

We're in the final week of the regular season in Texas, so it's going to get real hectic around the state. I know writers really love it because you get to see people you haven't in a while and the football is some of the best high school ball you'll see.

7. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Montana does that too, for one week of 6-man and 8-man football. Because of some statewide teacher conferences, most smaller schools play football and volleyball on a Wednesday.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Connecticut goes Tuesday, then Saturday for playoff.

The Thanksgiving Day games are huge in new England, so in some states the playoffs are just the first week of December.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First seeding flustercluck of the season. Brackets posted Saturday afternoon, I see Podunk not seeded. WTF? Then see a tweet the committee forgot about Podunk so they reseed. Go through tweets this afternoon, see another paper tweeting a change for one of their schools in that division, so look again. Yup, Podunk got bumped up.

10. I'm curious to know the reasoning behind having a 2 seed host a 1 seed. Seems like one of the rewards for the first-place team should be hosting playoff games.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Because the state wants every team to have the chance to play at home at least once, to both save on travel expenses and to receive some gate revenue.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How many places use neutral sites for playoff games? Done some stories and columns on that over the years that got some strong feedback.

I'd like to see all games after a certain point (second round? third round?) played at neutral sites, although I learned it wasn't always logistically feasible, especially for the smaller schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted