1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how's your fantasy baseball team doing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by leo1, Jul 30, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

can anyone offer any reason for switching to head-to-head format? my league doesn't do it and a couple guys want to switch but i don't see any benefit to it.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Head to head does offer more shots at managerial strategy, while I'd say in straight roto the better team will almost always win.

For instance, one can bench starters or not depending on one's opponents performance in a head-to-head league, to hold on to a decent ERA or give up on the ERA point and gun for K's, etc, etc.

3. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

The main league I'm in is a 12-teamer where we could keep 10. We made it a keeper league for the first time going into this season. I think I've got a lot of talent, and my team sucks. Just can't catch a break. Biggest problem is pitching. Tim Hudson, Roy Oswalt, Matt Morris and Doug Davis haven't given me what I expected. Brad Lidge has been a nightmare. Kelvim Escobar and Paul Byrd are just ordinary at best. Snagged J.J. Putz as a free agent, which has helped a little. Offense has been hampered by Matsui and Kent spending major time on the DL.

C: Ramon Hernandez
    1B: Paul Konerko
    2B: Jose Lopez (FA pickup)
    3B: Hank Blalock (horrible second half)
    SS: Rafael Furcal (finally picking it up)
    OF: Jeff Francour
    OF: Aubrey Huff (thought he was waking up for a week or two, but apparently not)
    OF: You name him, I've used him ... Kevin Mench, Gary Mathews, Juan Encarnacion, Casey Blake, Aaron Rowand ... when's Matsui coming off the DL?

I'm also in an AL only league where I'm getting my ass handed to me. I'm the worst team in that league. I'd never played in a single-league only setup. There is nobody of any use on the waiver wire, and I made the mistake of drafting Burnett and Colon. So my fate was mostly sealed on draft day.

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I'm in a 12-team NL-only keeper roto league, and I'm poised to finish in the money (top five) for the first time in my six years as a member. I've been skipping back and forth between fourth and fifth. I traded Maddux for Shea Hillenbrand (will go through on Tuesday), but another deal where I would get Abreu is now obviously shot. Here's what my lineup will look like Tuesday, assuming I don't win any free agent bids (Kevin Mench, Ronnie Belliard, etc.):

C: McCann, Y. Molina
    1B: Hatteberg (PIMP in a league with K/BB ratio)
    3B: Aybar
    CI: Cirillo
    2B: Hudson
    SS: Rollins
    MI: R. Cedeno
    OF: Edmonds, Bonds, Finley, Sullivan, Cabrera
    Util: Hillenbrand

P: Webb, Harang, Clemens, Ohka, Hamels, E. Gonzalez, Weaver, Wheeler, Julio.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Two leagues. Doing Very Well in both.

Team one live draft in 10-team league:
    C: Pudge
    1B: Kornerko
    2B: Soriano
    3B: D. Wright
    SS: O. Cabrera
    OF: Crawford, J. Bay, C. Figgins
    Util: Crede
    SP: Webb, Bonderman, Penny, Pedro, Peavy
    RP: Papelbon, Nathan, Ray

Been leading this league since the second week and there's not a team close to me.

Team two drafted by Yahoo with my pre-rankings in 13-team league:
    C: Posada
    1B: Korneko
    2B: Figgins
    3B: Chavez
    SS: Cabrera
    OF: Crawford, Encarnacion, Alou
    Util: Preston Wilson, T. Helton
    P: Orlando Hernandez, A. Sanchez, B. Penny, Sabathia, J. Johnson, D. Haren, E. Bedard, T. Wakefield
    RP: F, Rodriguez, T. Gordon, D. Kolb, A. Benitez, T. Saito

Most of my pitching was picked up off the wire because me draft sucked as far as pitchers go. K. Escobar and Sabathia were my No. 1 starters.
    This league I was in first all the way up to the All-Star break, but since I have fluctuated from 1st to 3rd on any given day. Currently, I'm in second.

6. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Tell me about it. I have Pujols, Soriano and Beltran (currently 1-2-3 in the Yahoo player rankings), yet I'm stuck in fifth place in twelve team league (standard 5x5). That's what happens when you start the season with the foundation of your pitching staff being Mark Mulder, Tim Hudson and Zach Duke.

7. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

We had our draft in late March, and though I was very familiar with Kazmir (watched him play just about all of his AA games, I didn't know how he'd hold up. So I sold him real high after that first month. Same goes for Verlander, though he's proven me wrong.

As for Papelbon, I traded him, Konerko, and Johnny Damon for Ortiz

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Ouch.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fifth in a 12-team Al/NL Yahoo league right now after being 11th around the all-star break. Probably closer to being a 7th-place team, as I'm rather over in innings, but what the heck. If my hitters keep rolling and I snag a lot more saves with a remade pen, I could finish 3rd.

I've made more moves than all but one team this year and some have been mistakes (cutting Bedard at just the wrong moment) but a few have been good (jumping on Liriano).

I had my eye on Papelbon on draft day but a Red Sox geek beat me to him. Lucky duck -- I might be in 2nd now.

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

h-2-h is the worst format ever for fantasy baseball. Period. It should be used for football and makes no sense for any other fantasy sport.

roto scoring was made for fantasy baseball as far as I'm concerned.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm running in the middle of the pack in both of my Yahoo leagues. A top-five finish is a possibility in both, but I'm probably too far behind to catch the leaders. In one of them, my buddy screwed up royally when he set the pitching stats (no credit for innings pitched, and a way-too-high innings limit that has allowed the leader to stay there by dropping and adding two or three starters every day). In the other league, injuries and some bad picks -- Mike Sweeney and Aubrey Huff, among others -- screwed me up. I did snag Papelbon in the 24th round of the draft but it hasn't helped much.

Draft saved Draft deleted