1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How's this for ethics ... TV edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

You've got a story. Talk to everyone you can for that story. Even if that story is about another media outlet. In fact, especially if that story is about another media outlet.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Rhody, you already apologized once.

I know the guys up here regularly work 12+ on football Saturdays. Sometimes they are at four games, then AHL hockey at night.

Of course, I think think that was ridiculous.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Rhody: I think that is *exactly* the way to do it.

I will be interested to see if you get any response.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You clearly have not read all the mater
    Alma: It's a violation of their professional ethics.

The scope doesn't really matter.

I have to admit that I am surprised the camera person didn't quash it. In my experience, they usually have a clue.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Do you really think so, Frank (and Rhody).

I don't think they would care.

They put themselves above us much of the time anyway.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, I pretty much think local TV and radio usually takes the low road if the newspaper screws up, especially in midsize markets.

From what I surmise from the original post, Rhody saw the thing happen -- he just needed to find out how they ran it on the TV. If they did wind up misusing the staged shot, I see no real point in asking the reporter why they staged the shot (we all know why). The news is what the station is going to do about it, and for that you have to talk to the management.

7. highlander

highlander Member

You lost me there. They changed out flags on Surabachi. Believe an officer wanted the first flag for himself and the second flag was a bigger one that could be seen better.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Here's the thing. If the footage was used as a "Local golfer finishes up her win over nonlocal golfer with this putt" type shot, then that's bad an unethical.

But if it's a feature on said local golfer and it's used as B-roll footage in the background just to show her playing golf in general, I have no problem with it.

It depends on the context in which it's being used.

This is no different than a newspaper photographer using a photo of a mother and daughter hugging. If it's presented as a candid shot when you clearly set it up, then you're in the wrong and being unethical. But if you present it as what it is, just a shot of two people together, it's fine.

Since I haven't seen the TV footage, I can't judge the reporter's intentions. And, because I'm a softy, I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

My move, personally, would have been to tell her directly and say "Listen, I know I'm not your boss and I don't want you to take this the wrong way but as a fellow journalist, I'm uncomfortable with having watched you set that staged shot up and it puts me in an awkward position because I feel as if I should write about it."

Then, she has two ways to react. She can either be apologetic and explain that she messed up with her scheduling or she wasn't able to get there, whatever. If she owns up to it, I'd let it be. Professional courtesy. But if she gets defensive (And my feeling is this person would), I'd remember it the next time she does it and go directly to her supervisor.

At the end of the day, this isn't the type of event that should ruin someone's career but it is a serious ethics violation which needs to be discussed to prevent future occurrences. I have no doubt that she did this without thinking about it and would give her the benefit of the doubt but if this persists, then, yes, she needs to removed from this industry not just for her company's sake but for the sake of all local journalists who are trying to sell the public on their credibility.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Either way, TV staged it. How hard is that to grasp?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You don't ask people to play or practice so you can shoot it. You find out what time they are doing it, and you show up and shoot it.

B roll or not, TV staged what it shot.

Jesus.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

William Hurt just shed a tear and doesn't know why it was wrong.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

And it's not always a bad thing when TV stages what it shoots. Depends on the context.

TV stages a lot of things a lot of times, especially for feature type pieces. For example, if you see background shots of a kid shooting a basketball in his backyard for a feature about how the kid "overcame diversity" for whatever illness the story is about, do you think the occurred naturally?

You see some mother giving the TV crew a tour of her recently burned-house, you think that's not staged?

Staging something is not terrible on the surface. It's the passing it off as something else that's terrible and unethical. In a news feature, I expect some of the things to be set up for the story. It's the being lied to that would set me off.

Draft saved Draft deleted