1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How's this for ethics ... TV edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Re: How's this for ethics ... TV people at it again

My head just exploded. Would the two wrongs make one of them right?

Alma, I e-mailed the sports director at the station and asked for a copy or link or something of the newscast from that night. I was covering an event and missed the 6 and 11, so I'm hoping the reporter realized how awful of an idea it was an never let it see the night of day or ran it, told people it was stage and made some cheesy joke about it.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with the others - the reporter behaving badly is now the far bigger story for you than the amateur golf tournament. That's a great story. (Although for sexist reasons, I hope it's not the cute one.)

3. Rhody31

Umm, then you might not want to read my story.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Damn you both. But yeah, that's a big time story.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

TTIWWAP

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

You lazy slacker. ;)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that this is wrong, but it's not news.

Journalists care, but nobody else does.

8. Slackers!
    They should go the Taiwan TV route; and digitally recreate the event; the finish, trophy presentation and makeout session, and evening-ending bra and panty tickle fight that may or may not include Tiger Woods.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The more I think about this...

Unless the TV reporter said, "Here is a shot of Girl X winning the tournament..." then nothing is "fabricated"

It could just be a shot of them warming up.

I don't mean to defend them, I hate when photogs and TV people do this stuff, but it's not "fabricating" news. Misleading? Perhaps...

10. Rhody31

Mizzou, I'm with you on that.
    Here's the thing - after informally contacting the sports director, he admitted what happened. The reporter was late after driving from another event. She packaged the highlights together and was trying to get footage for a story for next week. The highlights ran and the SD, doing the broadcast, put them out as fact. He also said he didn't know she had done that.
    Part of me feels bad because I feel like I'm ratting this girl out; I look at it like this - the person in the highlight is one of my locals. What was shown on TV wasn't what it was portrayed as. Readers who saw it may have wondered why the local was putting on 18 when the match ended on 16. I have to tell them.
    And if I did something like that - not that I ever would - I would hope someone would call me out.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Should I call your publisher when your gamer has an error? It's a dick move to call someone out like that unless you seem threatened by the TV station.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I respect your thoughts, as you know, but your above line...I mean, is that like you quoting you as proof? Nobody else does? You sure about that?
    The industry doesn't have to be that thick as thieves, does it? That's part of how we got to the point where we're at. When everybody minds their own business, you know who gets all the business? Talk radio and Fox News. This is small, but right along the same lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted