1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How's this for ethics ... TV edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Covering women's state amateur today, which was won by local golfer on 16. The twosome finished in like 2 hours, 30 minutes.
    As everyone pulls into the clubhouse, Second-Place TV station sports reporter arrives. She films the trophy presentation then asks the two women - one was 19, the other 20 - if they could grab a putter and pretend to putt out the last hole, including the postgame handshake/hug.
    The production was awkward to watch and even funnier, because when she reports the story, she's going to say how the match finished on the 16th hole but her video comes from No. 18.
    Schieza told me I should write my lede about how Local Golfer played so efficiently and won so quickly that even the TV Reporter didn't get to see it.

EDIT: Changed the thread hed - not fair to say all TV people do stuff like this.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: How's this for ethics ... TV people at it again

Bet the TV people took a break.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Surprised the golfers sat still for it.

4. Rhody31

They don't need to; they don't work six hours a day.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I'm sure "reenactment" was featured prominently when it aired.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Frankly, you should. That's the story. TV stations fabricating finishes is bigger news than the state amateur golf tournament.

7. Rhody31

I've already been thinking about it. It may end up being a sidebar to the story.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

At a small paper I worked for as a kid, a photog got fired for doing this. She was late for an assignment and the game was over, and she got two high school girls coaches to put their entire teams back on the field to stage the shot. The community was small enough that word got around pretty fast, and the paper's editor heard about it and fired the photog. The coaches felt terrible after that -- they did not understand the ethics and they and the kids had been telling the story because they thought it was funny. I do not know if the photog had pulled this before; this was several years after I left. We'd staffed a bunch of games together, so I know she at least usually made an effort to be there while games were in progress.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Wow, a local "Flags of Our Fathers."

10. Rhody31

Thinking more about it, I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of the staging. Damn.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hope you do. The reporter staged a sports scene for all of, what, 12 seconds of a newscast? It's a minor-but-real violation of the public trust.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Tomorrow, you should re-stage the staging and get your picture that way. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted