1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How's that global warming thing coming?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, are you saying we're headed for another ice age? Thanks for the warning, dude!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well let's see here, it's 80 degrees here in the middle of October.

And as PO notes, just because it's really cold somewhere doesn't mean the weather's not fucked up.

It must be nice to be a simpleton of the lowest order. Hondo, you are the most unintelligent poster on this site. By a country fucking mile. Don't you have Klan rallies to organize tonight? After all, a black Muslim is leading the polls!!!!

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Intrigued by my own question, I did a quick spin around the web and apparently the anti-global warming thing is from the same folks worried about the Tri-Lateral Commission, flouride in the drinking water, black helicopters, non-phonics English education, and Reds. They fear a one-world government.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

African-American helicopters, you racist!

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You know, I'll probably be harangued for this, but...

In the 1800s, it was standard thinking in the scientific community that living things could spontaneously sprout. Like maggots on rotting meat. We know now that they are the larvae of flies that have laid eggs on the meat. But at the time, most of the scientific community thought that these little white things just appeared. Mainly because we had no working knowledge of things at a cellular level. And for the scientist that argued differently, they were decried and told that the evidence was there. Accept it!

I won't argue that things are different now then say at the turn of the last century. But I think it's ignorant to think that man could have that drastic an affect on nature. That we're that powerful to change the entire world's climate. And the thought that this should be accepted fact bothers me. Centuries and centuries of thought processes have been changed with new discoveries. But I don't think we have the knowledge and certainly the data to make these statements.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Why do you hate a round earth, bydesign?

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Round just reminds me too much of me, I guess.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fair enough, BD. But the technological advances in the 20th century were far greater than any period in the past millenium, save for maybe the Enlightenment. It stands to reason that man's "effect on nature" might be far different now than it was in the 19th century.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Nope. Wrong, buckdub.

Everything is fine. There's a 1938 box score involving the Tigers and Yankees that requires your attention.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Nah, I think you're good. If you had said "Lou Gehrig just fell into his stool" on the other hand...

12. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

I'll take it as well. The concept of "objective scientists" is a joke. People who do research do it with a particular conclusion in mind. Most studies are biased one way or another based on how data are gathered.

Global warming is still just a theory, really, because weather has not been studied over a long enough period of time. We don't really know what the climate was like on earth in 1825, or 980 AD, or 2008 BC. We do know, however, that there was an ice age in the distant past, and it wasn't caused by F-150 emissions or hairspray.

So for anyone to say "most here know you are right" at this time is ridiculous.

Proceed with obligatory flogging.

Draft saved Draft deleted