1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How's that global warming thing coming?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 29, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo doesn't like facts.

He calls them "differences of opinion"

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A_QB, I’m no the expert on this and am only relaying information I read. However, the deal was not that this was happening only in NYC. This isn’t that NYC is going warmer but California is colder. It was a total zonal shift. Every zone. Chicago, for instance, was a place listed as being able to harvest different plants than previously for extended periods of times.

The latter portion of “so what, climate changes naturally” is merely an assumption on your part. You, and by you I mean the many people that think in this manner as well as you, don’t actually know. Nobody really knows. However, it isn’t really much of an argument that certain elements released into the air are not good for it.

Just as doctors are able to say smoking is bad for your health, scientists are able to say that release chemicals into the atmosphere is bad for the globe’s health. Making shrewd changes in the way we do things can only be a positive. Just like those that quit smoking.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Pastor, your respectful response deserves a respectful response in return.

Releasing chemicals into the air was happening long before man walked the earth. When plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, is that bad? I think not. The fires in California -- and forest fires were happening long before "global warming" became a cause celeb -- released more stuff into the air than man will over the course of the entire year there.

As we learned in high school science or even earlier, for every action there's an opposite and equal reaction. When CO2 is high, then plants thrive and grow more. Then they release more oxygen.

Your side has yet to admit that the sun has even a negligible effect on the current warming, yet it is known that there has been increased solar activity the past few years. Your side ignores or denies that polar ice caps on Mars are melting -- an obvious sign of the increased solar activity.

A great deal of what is happening now is natural. And it's happened on earth many times before.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't think those were the chemicals to which Pastor was referring, tony.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. Nothing in this debate is dumber and more intellectually flawed than referring to specific freakishly unseasonal days as evidence for or against GW. Those freak days have always occurred. Overall long term patterns are all that really tells you anything, and they plainly indicate that the earth is getting warmer. The issue is whether that's man-made and preventable or part of a natural long-term cycle beyond our control.

Nonetheless, it is somewhat interesting the way hurricane activity suddenly when stagnant right after Gore's movie came out predicting GW would continue to cause huge increases in the number and severity of canes. The two seasons since then have been quiet like none others I can remember. It's like the cane gods decided to get it all out of their system in 05.

6. I personally like the notion that the overwhelming scientific consensus on this issue, and the overwhelming majority of the peer-reviewed climatological literature, all is incorrect because it didn't occur to anyone to look back into history or to take into account the fact that plants give off Co2. Never occurred to them. Not once.
    Wow.

7. old_tony

No wonder you have such a hard time with this. Plants TAKE IN CO2 and give off oxygen.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

global warming is, actually, about weather extremes. It doesn't mean that Alaskans start moving into trailers and opening up theme parks.

It means that the parabolas in the weather chart deepen, so that hot becomes hotter and cold becomes colder, but overall the earth's temperature rises.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4269066.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

10. old_tony

If they're dead specimens, they really aren't plants, now, are they? And what you're talking about are the dead brush that environmental groups won't let us clear out, leading to things like what SoCal had last week.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Plants absorb carbon dioxide and emit oxygen as they grow. When they mature, or reach the respiration stage, they release CO2. Not when they are dead, but when they have grown.

You tried to belittle another poster for stating that plants emit CO2. It has now had to be explained to you, twice, that plants actually do emit CO2.

12. old_tony

So then the solution to global warming is to clear-cut the forests? OK, have it your way.

Draft saved Draft deleted