1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howie Carr is a douchebag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, May 3, 2009.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'll bet most of the Herald newsroom believes Howie's an asshelmet, too.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

One can hope.

Guys like him got fragged in 'Nam.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Complete and utter dickbag.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A douchebag is a sanitary item. That could be considered a complement.
    I prefer to call him a piece of shit.
    This rant may be better suited to the politics board, but I've never understood the affinity working class Greater Boston has for Carr. It's not as if he's one of them. He went to prep school and UNC. He lives in one of the wealthier suburbs of Boston, yet somehow he "gets" working people more than the "limousine liberals"? Give me a break.
    For a guy who's worked in newspapers for as long as he has, he seems to be clueless about the business, too.
    He does a "police blotter" bit on his radio show and every time there's an item about somebody who is arrested who has a Spanish surname, he acts as if it's Journalism 101 that the person's immigration status be included in the story.
    Racist piece of shit.

5. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

As for me, I love to see newspaper wars like this.

I'd love to have two papers in every town.

In the old days, this would be business as usual.

It was great competition back then, and no holds barred.

Ask Jimmy Breslin.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow.

Unfamiliar as I am with the Herald beyond having read a few things in it online, I'm surprised that this got past the paper's desk at all -- even if he is a columnist.

7. He was on CBS last night, spouting this phony proletarian bullshit while he and his (second) wife walked their tiny little dogs through a park in Wellesley.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was just going to mention this. At one time this type of stuff of shot-taking between papers was the norm.

Granted, that time died probably 30-40 years ago.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The column infuriated me - I don't think it's professional at all to publicly call out the competition - but Howie Carr succeeded in drumming up a reaction. We're discussing it, right?

10. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I agree that was crap. Carr used to write some decent stuff about the mob. Of course, he was usually blowing his horn. I remember him writing that a Herald photographer was told by a wise guy to tell Carr to watch his ass, that they knew where he lived — right across the street from a graveyard.

11. Yeah, and then he used Dick Lehr and Gerry O'Neill's "Black Mass" to pad out his own clip-job on the subject.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just saw the clip. So the Globe is out of touch and run by Ivy Leaguers with trust funds. And a guy who went to Deerfield Academy and lives in Wellesley is in touch with ordinary people?

Draft saved Draft deleted