1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MilanWall, Feb 14, 2007.

1. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

What's your thoughts on this word? Personally, I hate it and think there's always a nicer way to word a sentence than without the clunky "however" at the beginning, middle, or end.
  2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i don't see what is wrong with using it, however, I guess I can understand that some may not like it.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like it better than hitherto, however.
  4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As long as you include the comma in the appropriate place, I have no problem with it. Others, however, might.
  5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It is clunky.
    Only thing worse in writing or speech are qualifiers. (To be honest...Frankly...etc.)
    Almost 100% of the time they are superfluous.
  6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Very stilted.

Can't remember the last time I used other than when it was one of those horrible official statements that I had no choice but to use.
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's a bad word, albeit better than some others... [/ducking from certain members of the board]
  8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll admit that I use the word way too much. However, it does make transitions easier.
  9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Methinks there are other words out there that annoy members, too [/ducking beside slappy]
  10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I change it to "but" a great deal of the time.

Sometimes, when that doesn't feel like a good first word of a sentence in context, I'll let the however go. And when there's a bunch of contrarys right in a row, I might use let it go as a change of pace.

But in a typical, standalone situation, I change "however" to "but" most of the time.
  11. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I do use the word, but I used to have a guy that would use it approximately 100 times in a single story, sometimes twice in the same sentence. It's an easy trap to fall into, however, we must find different ways to transition, however.
  12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You might both be Dead. To. Me.

I'll have to ponder . . .

However is overused, but it's not one of those words like following or straight that I change everytime I see it.
Draft saved Draft deleted