1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How'd SI do it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The hole-in-one thread inspired me to read Jack McCallum's story in SI's vault, then it got me thinking ...
    How'd SI get all their stories on the internet.
    There has to be thousands of stories and photos that weren't saved on a computer or disk; did they pay people to re-type stories? Did they re-develop negatives for photos?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know - hell of a project. I also appreciate the mag's frequent dollops from the past that they incorporate weekly. Loved the snippet on Steve Smith that accompanied the Carolina Panthers scouting report in the NFL preview:
    "(Steve Smith) plays with a chip on his shoulder, which helps him. He probably has the biggest heart in the game. He goes across the middle. He doesn't care who's (covering him). He's going to go up and get that ball." said Ken Lucas."

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

i've read some older stories that had numerous typos, the kind made by quick typing, so i'd imagine some of them were typed and re-entered.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Hello, and welcome to your summer internship with Time-Life...."

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Remember hearing about a Time Inc. project to digitize all its content. Not just SI but other mags. Is it possible they could have scanned stuff in with character-recognition software turning the old clips into more flexible files?

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

One of my old haunts had its archive system crash and everything that was in it -- some 10 years worth of articles -- was lost. This was after I left, but I remember coleagues talking about how the paper hired temps to type in the past stories.

That must have been fun.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've read a couple stories with minor typos - I'm thinking it was re-typed, but couldn't find anything on the interwebs to confirm.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's no worse than typing in schedules, I'm sure.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd be stunned if they weren't scanned off-site, probably in India, then given a cursory look-see by hand.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That sounds like hell for about a hundred people.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

12. a cursory look-see is how they edit their copy these days

Draft saved Draft deleted