1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howard wins NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ryan Howard just won the NL MVP, according to ESPN.

No link available yet.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Neifi got screwed.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Wow. Howard was definitely worthy of the award, but Pujols has to be scratching his head and wondering what he needs to do to win. Yeah, I know he has last year's, but the guy should have at least two other MVP trophies on his mantle.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Uh oh. The wrath of Columbo will be upon us soon.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll just save everyone the trouble.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I was going to ask Pube the reason on the "writers want a rematch, coaches don't thread," but jesus, his anger really kind of freaks me out. Everything is a profanity-laced tirade.

I seen fewer personal attacks from JR/Boom/A_F/BYH/DyePack combined.

That dude needs help.

And my two cents: Albert got hosed.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

As an impartial observer ::), I too agree Pujols got jobbed.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Well, hitting in the clutch, defense and baserunning are obviously not criteria for this award. At least not this year.

I grew up a Phillies phan and probably watched 100 of their games this summer. Howard was mediocre with runners on base and is a one-dimensional slugger -- albeit a great one.

Pujols should have won.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Hosed? Jobbed? Please, let's be fair. Pujols is a great player and he again had a wonderful year for a team that won its division. BUT ... Howard also had a great year for a team that contended -- which is all that should be necessary to be a legitimate MVP candidate -- and a team that finished with more wins than the Cardinals.

Where are the negatives on Howard? I say that fully admitting that either of them could have won and it would have been justified, in my mind.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm just really glad they both did it the natural way. This restores the integrity of the game![/headinthesand]

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How was Howard's defense. I know he had a rep after his rookie year of being pretty lousy with the glove, but didn't see him enough this year to know if he got better. Pujols is outstanding defensively.

This isn't an argument. I could see either guy winning this award. Just curious because that is one area that you would probably give a big edge to Pujols.

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

True, the defense would go to Pujols, but I don't think it was enough of a difference to penalize Howard for it. Again, they each deserved to win.

Draft saved Draft deleted