1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howard Unruh dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Who the fuck was Howard Unruh? The first modern mass murderer.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-howard-barton-unruh20-2009oct20,0,3425297.story

I read about him for the first time while doing microfilm research for the year 1949 not long ago. I was even more shocked to learn he was still alive at 88 despite lifelong institutionalization.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

First one that we know of.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Should have been executed about 59 years ago.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now THERE'S a reporter ... and the guy who included this anecdote in his story won the Pulitzer:

http://www.journalism.columbia.edu/cs/ContentServer/jrn/1175295299201/page/1175295298659/simplepage.htm

6. Nope. Not even close ...

William V. Smith in 1946 .. killed nine people
    Loy Yueng, 1928 slaughtered 12 people
    Andrew Kehoe, 1927 bombed a school that killed 45 people including himself
    Robert Segee 1944 serial arsonist who started the Hartford Circus fire

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Segee was the main suspect in the circus fire, but it was never proven that he did it. I think that years later, he claimed that he did start it, but his story didn't match up.

The part that gets me about the Unruh killings was the 6-year-old who was killed on the carousel horse while getting a haircut.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

That part got me too.

I hope Unruh is burning in hell now. He should have been roasting there decades ago.

9. No kidding. 88? Tebow! That is a long time in prison.

That is freaking awesome the reporter called his apartment and Unruh answered.

Crazy fucker.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Those questions definitely fall into the category of it never hurts to ask. Geez, some reporters could learn from that.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And those of you who read "The Devil in the White City" are no doubt familar with Herman W. Mudgett, the infamous "Murder Doctor" who killed at least 27 people (the exact total isn't known) during and after the 1893 Colombian Exposition in Chicago.

Draft saved Draft deleted