1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howard Porter dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, May 22, 2007.

1. Re: Howard Porter near death

Any arrests yet?
    How'd he end up in MPLS? And, god help me, but this sounds like a gay-bash.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: Howard Porter near death

Where do you see that he was gay?

3. Re: Howard Porter near death

dammit

RIP

catch those bastards

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very sad story.
    Howard Porter was one of the best college basketball players I ever saw.

First saw him in a freshman game for Nova (frosh not eligible for varsity in '67) against my college's frosh team and it was like watching a pro against HS kids. We played Nova throughout his career and he was just awesome every time I saw him.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Having named my March Madness pool entry The Ghost of Howard Porter I am deeply saddened.

And I have an air-tight alibi.

YHS, etc

6. boots

boots New Member

Very sad. RIP Howard. You were an outstanding basketball talent.

7. Update:

Woman arrested in beating death of Howard Porter

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A St. Paul woman was arrested in connection with the beating death of former NBA player and Villanova star Howard Porter.
    The 33-year-old woman was arrested Sunday night, according to St. Paul police spokesman Tom Walsh.
    "Beyond that, we're not commenting a great deal on the extent of the investigation or her exact involvement," Walsh said. "Charges are going to be forwarded to the county attorney today."
    She was taken into custody in St. Paul and held at the Ramsey County Jail pending homicide charges, according to an arrest record.
    Walsh would not comment on whether there were more suspects.
    Porter, 58, played for Chicago, Detroit and New York during his NBA career. He worked as a probation officer for Ramsey County and was found severely beaten in a north Minneapolis alley on May 19. Porter died a week later at a Twin Cities hospital.
    Police said Porter was last seen in the evening of May 18 at his St. Paul home.
    The woman in custody was on probation in the past, but Porter was not one of her probation officers, said Chris Crutchfield, spokesman for Ramsey County Community Corrections.
    Her file was closed, meaning she was no longer on probation.
    Two rewards totaling $25,000 had been announced for information leading to the arrest and conviction of people connected to his death.

Draft saved Draft deleted