1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howard Kurtz leaving Wash Post for the Daily Beast

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dyno, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I guess it was announced yesterday. Here's his blog post on the news:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/howard-kurtz/2010/10/a_personal_note.html?hpid=news-col-blog

I was always a fan of his until he shrugged off the Maureen Dowd's plagiarism.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When I first heard the news, I just assumed he'd be writing a column similar to the one he currently writes for the Post.

But he's going to be their DC bureau chief. I'm not sure how he bureau chief for one entity & a media critic for another.

It was odd enough that he was a media critic for two major media entities, but I think we was good at avoiding the appearances of conflict.

I don't see how he can do that if he's now going to be overseeing coverage for one news organization.

And, if that's the case, I don't see how CNN can keep him in his current role.

3. Louisiana Rain

Louisiana Rain New Member

Ah, another tear-jerker of a goodbye column from a longtime newspaperman going to a Web outfit. Or is he jerking something else? Am I the only one getting sick of reading these columns about how their heart is breaking to leave the newspaper, how much they love newspapers and how much they value the work newspapers do? If this guy truly felt that way, he'd stay at the damn newspaper! Hell, he's been at the post for 29 years, so he's gotta be in his 50s at least, which means he's getting somewhat close to retirement, and I'd guess he made enough at the post that he could stay there a few more years and then retire comfortably.

That is, if he truly felt the way he and others claim they feel in their "goodbye to newspapers" columns before taking high-money jobs (or in most cases, higher-money jobs) with Web companies.

But hey, after a lifetime devoted to newspapers, we're supposed to believe he just yearns to contribute to the thing that has caused the death of newspapers.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How many times have we blasted athletes for not saying "it's the money" when they changed teams for the money. It's the same thing here. Just admit you got a way better deal and move on.

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

Eh, Kurtz isn't worth reading anyway. Kind of hard to take a guy seriously when he's writing about politics and media and has potential conflicts in both.

6. The "I'm going down with the ship because I'm more hardcore in my newspaper dedication" types are far more annoying.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not to mention a bully and a douche.

Like MG said, spare me the garment rending. Tiresome and insulting at the same time.

8. YankeeFan

Maybe it's because he's the tallest midget, but I've always enjoyed Kurtz's reporting.

I will grant you that the sad goodbye's are tiresome.

9. Louisiana Rain

Louisiana Rain New Member

Who said or wrote that?

10. YankeeFan

Sorry, but it's just stupid to compare his move to Dylan going electric at Newport:

Draft saved Draft deleted