1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howard Bryant takes over ESPN magazine back page from Chris Jones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 11, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am surprised.
    Once was a time any perceived slight against Chris Jones, the Wordsworth of his Times, would create all sorts of hurt feelings around here.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They're all gone and left Private 93 D guarding the legacy

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

They don't need this place for the cycle of praise when they can do it on Twitter.
    They do need worshippers like Devil, though.
    The more unread, the better.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

More a backlash of a person telling a black man to get to the back of the bus. I'm guessing that reference was noticed by others.

And I'm not the "worshiper" that started the thread. It's a wannabe coffee repairman.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How am I a "wannabe coffee repairman"?

That doesn't make sense. If you want to make fun of me, call me a wannabe something else.

I'm an actual coffee repairman.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So much for your espresso braggadocio. ::)

And tell us, actually: How do you repair coffee?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There were multiple problems with Devil's post (which is not surprising).

I chose to focus on the poor aim of the putdown, rather than the poor wording.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, good for Howard. I've always enjoyed his work.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Interesting to me, and ignoring the normal tomtrollery here, Jones is one of the most lauded magazine writers in the country with not one but two high profile magazine gigs and a shelf of awards recognizing his work at both.

That's not an opinion, that's, well, a fact. National Magazine awards lists are pretty easy to find, if you know how to type.

But, here's where it gets interesting, are awards a true measure of the writer or of the publication it appears in?

How much of the access is from the publication or the pure skill of the reporter.

Would someone from VQR or Oxford American, to name two good magazines with low profiles outside the literary world, get the same access as someone from Esquire or ESPN?

Its one of those things I've experienced freelancing. You do get treated different by sources when it is high profile pub assignment. I suspect we all, or at least those of us in the biz and not repairing coffee machines and such.

I guess the argument becomes the awards don't matter but recognition from ones peers does is an interesting contradiction.

This is just one of these things I've been thinking about recently.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There is something to that. I remember years ago, when I covered an NFL team for a suburban paper, calling the agent of a high-profile player about a contract negotiation or some such. I told him the name of my paper and he asked me, "What's your circulation?" When I told him, he wouldn't talk to me because the paper's circulation wasn't big enough.

11. ringer

ringer Active Member

Who the heck is this new FOB columnist, Mina Kimes?

Anyone? Anyone?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kimes will be a senior writer covering “the intersection of commerce, business and sports fans” as well as working on narrative and investigative pieces.

No doubt that job description will interest Yankee Fan

Draft saved Draft deleted