1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How your city's newspaper handled the fatal shootings in Dallas?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Like with the Orlando massacre, I agree with the poster who said to save it for the editorial pages. It's a vanity thing by the paper, and as a reader I still want the latest, best news updates on display out front.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It was Alma, and he was right, IMO.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Extraordinary circumstances require extra work and coordination.

We all know print is dead. But it's a total disservice to the remaining print readers to not adjust in this situation.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How would you adjust? Outside printers are booked solid. Austin's press window is pretty rigid.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

There should be a plan in place to push back everyone's deadline and the press bookings. "Booked solid" when it comes to breaking news of local, state and national importance requires some juggling and overtime.

Of course, the Austin paper shouldn't be printed in fucking San Antonio. But that train has sailed.

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Because we're a MN paper, we led with the Philando Castile news on A1 with a refer to the AP story on the Dallas shootings on A5.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Agreed - looks like a Prince album cover.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Y would U say that? Still 2 soon.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Sadly, our paper threw an AP story on one of the back pages of the news section. I guess some local lady and her sculpting hobby , which grabbed the centerpiece on the front page, was more important.

Draft saved Draft deleted