1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How young is too young . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Oh, golf? Beats me. I was ready to answer that while she's only 17, and daddy says she's too young, she's old enough for me.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

SC - what's the little guy's attention span? how long does he do one thing he really likes to do ... something he's good at, other than watching cartoons.

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

If there's grass on the...

He's not too young for real clubs. Nike makes awesome junior clubs, you can get them at Wal-Mart. Oh, and get the putter first. Get the damn putter. It's the only club he can go out use and get instant gratification from. Nothing like watching a kid beam after hitting a 3-footer.
    Get a wood. Get a putter. Then in 13 years, watch the millions roll in.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Goodness SC, you can outfit this kid for next to nothing. Wal-mart has a set with a T-ball bat and ball for like ten bucks with another five for a glove that'll fit his little hand. The golf clubs you saw online sound perfect. Don't be surprised though if, along with hitting golf balls, he also hits rocks, uses the clubs like guns, and maybe throws them to see how far they'll helicopter.

These are the things that are fun to do when you're five.

Little indoor basketball and hoop would be fun too. and maybe a Frisbee.

And remember, best of all, you get to be the coolest aunt in the world, and mom and dad have to deal with all the stuff. ;)

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Bought the kid his first set at age 3. He's now 7, and on his 3rd set.

I took my old Ping ISI driver, had it measured for him, and had the local pro cut it to fit him. He hit a ball 145 yards the other day.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

It's the perfect age to learn golf.

As a bonus, it also will teach the kid the joys of cussing.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Aah....you brought up a wonderful little memory....Kid was 4 or 5 at the time, me, the kid, my dad and brother in law are out golfing.....

Kid sets one on the tee....kid takes a mighty swing.....whiffs......takes another whack at it, and just dribbles it to the front of the tee-box....
    "Gawd-dammit" he yells.....All 3 of us look at him and start laughing.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

That's just classic stuff there, Chef.

9. So all the rest of you slacker five-year olds can suck it!

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Drums. Buy him drums. Or a tambourine. Anything really loud that will be mildly entertaining to you while you are there but will absolutely drive your sister insane when you're gone. :)

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Forget golf clubs. Buy the kid sparring gear and an introductory package to the local dojo.

Draft saved Draft deleted