1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How young is too young . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 12, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

to buy a kid golf clubs?

My nephew is about to turn 5, and when I asked my sister what I should get him, she said golf clubs because he doesn't have a lot of sports equipment and that way she has an excuse to go golfing.

Is 5 an appropriate age to start a kid golfing?

2. Well, that's not the direction I was expecting.

3. Yes. I would say that's a good age. Mine's 4 and has a healthy interest. She has plastic clubs for now, but we've been eyeing some of the itty-bitty ones ... and of course if the kid gets some, dad needs some too ...

4. sportschick

I gave up on younger men for the New Year, dammit!

5. sportschick

What other sports equipment does your little one have? My nephew doesn't have anything but a basketball I bought him when he was 2. My sister says she wants him to have more.

6. Couple of bats and balls ... she had a big blue Dora bat but now she prefers a skinny wooden model one I got her from a minor league baseball game ... she still hits it about 50 percent of the time ... it helps hand eye coordination.

A little basketball net and ball for inside the house. A small Old Navy football we throw around.

A bike and roller skates. That's all I can think of.

We have the plastic clubs like Buck mentioned ... it's a pain in the ass to take her putt-putting now but in a year I could see her with real clubs. You always buy stuff for them before they're really ready for it. That's how they grow into it.

7. sportschick

He can't play in their backyard. Her husband hasn't built a fence, and it's on an insanely busy street.

I can get a used set of real clubs sized for kids his age for about $30 or so says craigs list out here. I'm OK sinking that into him. He's got two younger brothers who can use them later.

Thanks W-B. My brother's gonna get him sports stuff too. We have no idea how the family athlete failed to buy sports stuff for her kids.

8. Honestly, my wife and I and Santa spent hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars on Christmas last year and the first thing the kid grabbed were the Dora baseball bat and ball. Still her favorite game - that and riding the bike.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Tiger was shooting par by age 5.

10. sportschick

She suggested them for the three-year-old too, but he can't even really walk without tripping over himself yet.

11. My daughter wants to do karate this year except all the local instructors say she has to wait until 6 ... guess it's back to ballet and tap, though she was only mildly amused this year and that was more with the outfit than anything.

12. sportschick

She doesn't like tap? Damn. I loved it just for the noise aspect.

Draft saved Draft deleted