1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How y'all, youse, you guys talk (quiz)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jan 25, 2014.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

One of my college friends and little to no discernible accent -- until he went home to East Tennessee. Once he was there, he sounded like the most hillbilly hillbilly ever.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wonder if some accents and dialects are easier to pick up than others. I really wasn't in the south for very long as a kid, but the speech patterns stuck with me for a long time and I still say y'all even though I grew up in the heart of yinzer territory.

I never said yinz except in discussing the word. I remember seeing a coffee mug with what was supposed to be "Pittsburghese" all over it. They had gum band instead of rubber band. My mother uses that one. Slippy instead of slippery is another one I remember. I've never used any of it in conversation. Hell, I don't even pronounce Steelers as "Stillers."

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Put me right where I grew up.
    Haven't lived in that region for 20 years, and people often comment on my lack of accent when the find out my background.
    But I guess my word choices are still repesentative even if my accent isn't.

4. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

That just means you talk right (as we would say).

Draft saved Draft deleted