1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you pitch it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 1, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, here's the game: You are a writer who just finished a script you want to sell to a Hollywood bigwig. How would you sell it?

Pick a movie and tell us how you think the pitch session went.

For example, the movie "Over the Top," starring Sly Stallone was probably pitched like this:

"OK, here's the story ... a hyper-masculine, arm-wrestling truck driver fights for custody of his overly effeminite, possibly gay son. We already have a young Martina Hingis attached to play the part of the son.

[​IMG]

Oh, and when our hero turns his hat around, it's like Bruce Banner turning into the Incredible Hulk.
    Sick, right?"

"Will Robert Loggia be involved?"

"Sure."

"Let's make it!"

And yes, I'm drunk.

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Pern, you pick the movie, I'll pitch it like a Zito curve.

3. bigpern23

OK ... hmm .... alright, "Virtuosity," an astoundingly bad movie featuring Oscar winners Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Have at it.

4. CradleRobber

Damn, haven't seen it.

5. bigpern23

OK, how about "Johnny Mnemonic"? (sp?)

6. CradleRobber

BP, man, you're coming out of left field with these titles.

I'm having an in-depth IM conversation about Mike Hampton and his lack of skills at life itself. He looks like a younger Clint Hurdle. He could play him in a movie.

7. bigpern23

Ok, I'll try something a little less shitty ...

How about Thelma & Louise?

8. CradleRobber

I'm pretty sure I was five when that came out. I know it has Susan Sarrandon (SP) and one of the big actors.

9. bigpern23

Fer chrissakes, man!

OK, I'll throw out a bunch, see if you get one of them! :p

Commando
    Die Hard
    XXX (Vin Diesel-style, not Jenna Jameson)
    Jingle All the Way
    Kindergarten Cop
    Top Gun
    Se7en
    Sam I Am
    Training Day

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

"In this movie, Adam Sandler plays a nice-guy kook with fists of steel who successfully proves himself in a completely unrealistic scenario involving an academic decathlon in which he has to pass Grade 12, hit a hole-in-one, sing, raise Jon Stewart's bastard son, give away $40 billion and singlehandedly win not one but two football games against obviously superior competition. Along the way, he enjoys the support of devoted friends who for the most part seem intelligent enough to really know better, PLUS he wins the love of many gorgeous babes who in real life would be way too hot for him."

"What's the title?"

"Billy Happy Wedding Yard Daddy Deeds Waterboy."

"Genius. How soon can you start?"

11. bigpern23

:D

A nice variation on the theme.

12. CradleRobber

I don't think I'm able to play this game, but DJ will help you out. I'm just thinking about a first date I had at "XXX: State of the Union."

Draft saved Draft deleted