1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Would You Market An Ezine?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, I and a couple friends took the plunge and cobbled together our first "e-zine." I have to say, it looks pretty good. It reads like a magazine. It will require a subscription and password to read. This first one is free and just testing the waters and feeback.

We're spread apart and all losing our jobs, or having our beats shuffled, etc. So, we thought, what the hell?

It's a niche market product. But we think we can make some money at it.

We're not looking to get rich by any means. Heck, we're not looking to make a living at it. We're looking for extra cash, maybe enough to pay for a small vacation or road trip.

I figure it'll keep my sanity and keep me writing sports.

My question: How do you market something like this? We have some ideas like mass emailing. But after that, I have no idea.

My one friend says since I was planning to spend money into going to school, I should sink some of it into marketing this thing instead. He says "You have 10 years experience in media. You don't need a PR diploma at this point to get a PR job." I'm not sure I agree, but I see his point.

Anyway, back on topic, how do you get people turned onto a new thing like this?
  2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

buy a print ad in the newspaper! ;D

but seriously, best of luck. i keep kicking around ideas for an online publication but haven't had the balls to make a move yet.

and how about a link?
  3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yes. To paraphrase, this thread is useless without a link.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would say that would depend on what the e-zine is covering.

If it's sports, find where the fans hang out online (usually a message board) and go there. Perhaps a small ad in the game programs.
  5. Pete Incaviglia

I found four message boards, that helped.

As for posting a link, I'm sorry, but it'd out me.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Is the area you are covering big enough to warrant radio coverage? Try to get on a radio show where you do a little punditry in exchange for a plug.
  7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

wait a minute, you're not inky?
  8. Pete Incaviglia

Had you fooled did I?
  9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Be careful. Some of that pub may be seen by your boss. Or is everyone using a nom de plume?
  10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As for cheap and effective marketing, use social networking sites.
    - Create a Facebook page (not a profile, but a "public" page where people can become "fans" and you can send updates) -- and an official group (it's not the same thing).
    - Start a MySpace profile for the e-zine.
    - Start a Twitter feed.

Get your e-zine out there. Pick up fans so that you can use word-of-mouth. Send a mass e-mail to everyone you've ever e-mailed before. Put a "blogroll"-type feature on the site and link to any e-zine that will link to you back (quid pro quo).

Keep pushing, pushing, pushing.
  11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Advertise on Candace Parker's C cups.
  12. Pete Incaviglia

In doing this, I'm not violating any clause in our contract. I can freelance as long as I am not in direct competition with my paper. Which, in this case, I'm not.
Draft saved Draft deleted