1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you improve sports broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Mark May kick Lou Holtz's ass at halftime.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Every time Rod does CFL games I want to turn it off.

I wish he would stick to figure skating. He and Greg Millen are the blandest guys in Canadian sports broadcasting

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Announcers are worse now for the same reason major league pitchers are worse - there are a lot more of them. Just in college football alone, we've gone from the famed one-game-a-week to last Saturday, where there was only one game with a Division I-A school that couldn't be watched on some type of screen (sorry lovers of Wyoming-Cal Poly).

http://www.the506.com/ncaaf/2012/03.html

The best announcers of today would have been tops in any era. The worst of today would have been selling life insurance in Elmira and never have offended our virgin ears. I'm willing to make the trade off to enjoy the universe of choices I get now.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I would drop two things completely that add nothing, the interview with a coach or player that is either coming off the field/ice/court into the intermission or heading back out on to it. They never tell you anything and 99% of the time the questions are terrible.

The mid-game interview with players and coaches coming out of a TV timeout while they are on the bench, just brutal and more often than not the coach/player looks like he wants to rip the interviewer's head off. Again they add nothing and the questions are usually terrible.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Then there would be at least one team with an announcerless broadcast: The White Sox.

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Eliminate announcers who say "Are You Kidding Me???" and use a plural ("the Barry Sanderses and Walter Paytons") where it's completely asinine.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Mute button works every time.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Without reading the entire thread, realize that while your target audience might be male, that is not your entire audience.

There really are a lot of women that like sports. Hard to sit through the male bullshit sometimes.

Which mean, yes, I use the mute button. It's a shame though, as I actually want to hear talk about the game.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not the way my kid steals batteries.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Blow up "The Subway Fresh Broadcast Booth." Geez, they even mention it in the :30 promos. Good lord.

11. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Japan had this when I was there in 1985. It only took until, when, the mid 90's for this To take hold here? Great idea for baseball.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I agree with those who would like to see an end-zone view, especially for replays in football. Many, many viewers have been playing Madden for years and it's the default view on there because it works. It's great for seeing formations and pre-snap movements.

Draft saved Draft deleted