1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by That 1 Guy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Beat me to the exact words.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And just remember, the last laugh is ours when none of them get scholarships.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

What did the reporter do to draw the ire of high school sophomores? Sophomores don't need a reason to act sophomoric, but I assume the reporter was asking for it one way or another.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The way my old SE used to put it: "I've got the cannon, and you've got the peashooter."

5. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

In the interest of full disclosure, I was the reporter in question. I was doing nothing but taking notes on the game and keeping my book. I said nothing to no one.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Questioner nailed it ... sophomores being sophomores.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Incidentally ... if you were an adult taking notes at a high school baseball game, why would those sophomores NOT already figure out that you were a sportswriter?

8. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

No idea. Didn't care or ignorance? They may very well have known who I was. I hadn't covered these specific kids before, though just a week prior I had covered their soccer team win a state championship.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

For the win.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That 1 guy, sounds like you guys handled it just right.

I would like to think I would have done the same thing. If I knew some of the kids or their parents, I would have spoken to them.

If they really made me mad, I might have done something I probably would have regretted.

I cannot stand teens who act like jerks and bullies.

If I see kids acting like that or picking on other kids in my neighborhood when I am out walking the dog, I will stand there until they get uncomfortable and follow them until they leave the neighborhood or go home.

11. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Just find someone responsible for them—the A.D., their coach, maybe a parent or two, whoever—and ask nicely if they could get the kids to cut it out.

Or come armed with a Super Soaker and show them what's up.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The original poster missed a golden opportunity to shoot video, tweet, do a podcast and post a photo gallery of the sophomores spitting the sunflower seeds (and maybe send out a link to see if Bleacher Report would like to rank the top 10) -- and involve all of his paper's social media in the project, including a poll asking people how they would have handled it.

Epic fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted