1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by That 1 Guy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

This scenario played out earlier this week and I'm interested to get the take of my esteemed peers on the matter.

While covering a high school varsity baseball game this week, one of our sports writers was repeatedly showered with spit-out sunflower seeds from members of the sophomore team in the stands. They continued after he asked them to stop and he eventually had to move to avoid reacting in a regrettable way. There have been issues such as these with this school in the past, though nothing quite as disgusting and disrespectful as this.

It's a parochial high school in the city. There are two public high schools. If it makes a difference, we're about a 30K daily that covers around 30 high schools in a three-state area.

My question for you guys is, how would you handle this situation? Do you forget about it? Say something to the AD, coach, etc? Beat the snot out of the kid?

Edited for spelling.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd do exactly what he did, and if it's happened before I'd mention it to the AD. I would NOT vote for C ... at least not while anyone's looking.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd remind the sophomores of who I was, and tell them that if they wanted me to cover any of their games when they move up to varsity to cut it out.

And if that wouldn't work, then I'd tell them that what they were doing would make for a good note at the end of the game you were covering. With names.

And yeah, I'd let the AD know as well.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dear god, don't do this.

Playing the "don't you know who I am" card NEVER works out. Ever. Ever. Ever.

5. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

As far as we know, the players never knew who the target was until after they heard from the AD.

The SE sent an email to the AD, principal and coach informing them of the incident. Needless to say, they were pissed.

Also, option C was never a real option. Those kids may have forgotten they were representing their school, but our guy remembered he was representing the newspaper.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Get out cell phone, take a picture and tell them that if it does not stop picture is going to principle and AD.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No, you wouldn't, on either one. Both are in the top tier of douchebaggery.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Baron was kidding. I think.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My blue font meter is broken.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The principal is our PAL.

Won't you please let him be yours?

11. Padre

Padre Member

sounds like you guys handled it perfectly

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, yes and no in terms of whether I was kidding.

I know I wouldn't be the one deciding on covering their games, and even if I did, I know I would still do it because it's my job. And I know that I wouldn't be able to put their names in the paper for hitting me with sunflower seeds.

But I'd also be counting on that odds are, the kids have no clue about what I can and cannot write, and the mere threats may make them think twice next time.

With the kids, I'd be like, "Hey guys, you do know I work for the paper, right? You guys must not want me to cover your games when you reach varsity, if you're going to treat me like this. There's other teams out there who are more respectful."

And if that didn't work, I'd be like, "Well guys, the behavior of the crowd at this game is news. Guess I'll be adding your names in at the end of my game story. I'm sure your parents will love that."

Like Crash Davis says, they're kids. Scare them.

Draft saved Draft deleted