1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you handle this in the newspaper and on message boards?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by #52 Psycho T, Jan 30, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

People have been known to miss meth and other things in with their pot. It's possible that that's what happened to the girl in the hospital (if she is in fact in the hospital, etc., etc.)

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You should definitely report that players A and B did not play, along with the reason the coach gave you. You also should continue to dig and try to get more on the record from good sources (not a friend of a friend's sister who saw Ferris last night at 31 flavors). You absolutely should not publish, in print or online, anything regarding the smoking of weed unless you get it on the record from an aforementioned good source.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Another thing: Go to the ICU waiting room during visiting hours and see if any of the girl's relatives are sitting in there. Play dumb; ask why they're there.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

How is Player A a recent graduate of the school and still playing on the team?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I tripped over that too. Add a comma:

I know for sure Player A is 18 years old, and a recent graduate of that school said Player B is 18 years old.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Sheesh. I learn more about you & our high school years every day. Good lord I was oblivious.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Continue to investigate. Cultivate sources. And print nothing until you are absolutely CERTAIN you have the facts.

Message boards? They're fun for discussion, jokes or catching up. Not for news.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If the police are involved and the players are 18, there will be a paper trail of some sort: incident report, arrest report, etc. If 911 was called, you may also be able to obtain a recording of the phone call or other documentation that authorities were summoned to a particular address.

If your own paper offers comments, use that vehicle for one purpose: To discourage readers from posting their favorite rumors. Post your own msg to this effect: "Our interest is to cover a story -- if there is, in fact, a story -- in a responsible manner. Please don't muddy the waters with speculation."

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

What is the "official" reason for the suspensions? What do you have in concrete facts, on the record, to elaborate on the "real" reason?

10. John

John Well-Known Member

And find out if they are suspended from school, as well. That would demonstrate a far more serious offense than just missing four games, which could fall under the "violation of team rules" umbrella.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Wouldn't hurt to try the hospital, but it's a longshot. It's routine for auto accident victims, so why not?

That said, I thought that headline rocked.

Draft saved Draft deleted