1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would YOU fix the CFB championship picture?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Best eight teams, regardless of conference. The SEC/Big 10/Pac 10/Sun Belt has three of the top teams in college football, they three teams in the playoffs. No one gripes when three ACC teams are No. 1 seeds in the NCAA basketball tourney.
    Rotate the playoff games among the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton and Gator bowls. Have the BCS Championship Game played at a different site every year like they do now.
    Keep the existing bowls and just let them be exhibition games among the teams finishing out of the top eight. That means the existing bowls move up in weight class, so you'll get a couple of second/third place teams from major conferences playing each other, instead of a couple of 6-6, 7-5 teams.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Eh, my bad. Since I have no experience seeding (in that regard ;)), I had it that way to illustrate how the system would work.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Oh, but a playoff would ruin the bowls.

Like a 64-team national championship in basketball ruined the NIT.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I really like this tweak, save for two things:

1) Since the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowls are the biggest of the bunch, shouldn't those be reserved for the most important games? Speaking of which...

2) Since there are just two semi-finals and one championship game to go with four bowls, add in a third-place game to precede the championship?

I won't be singing the blues if there were 16 teams instead of 12, though. My reasoning would be that the top four teams would be deserving of a end-of-the-year breather before entering the most emotionally & psychologically draining time of the season. But I guess one more game wouldn't hurt "that much" and the teams playing in the championship & third-place games would still be playing fewer games than what they'd see during the NFL's regular season.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think we need to keep the traditional bowl alliances. That's what caused the Rose Bowl mess this year. Let the seedings determine who plays in what Bowl game.

Draft saved Draft deleted