1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would YOU fix the CFB championship picture?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 5, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This week (especially today, for some reason) has been open season on the BCS and how it determines a college football "champion." I think many fans & reporters, maybe even most of the lot, agree that it's time to blow the whole thing up & install a playoff system. The big questions are these: how many teams go in and what to do with the bowls?

Having four teams would be too few, but 16 would be too many. Eight sounds like a good number, but that leaves only two at-large bids. IMO, 12 would a good number. Allow me to explain my own crack-pot theory.

First off, the regular season is reduced to 11 games. If a conference is so big that it needs a title game, then have it played in the final week. Why cut the season down a game? To accommodate a four-tiered, NFL-styled playoff system. The top four seeds (determined by the BCS, so the reg. season still is important) would get byes and a guaranteed home game.
    • 9 @ 5, winner @ 1
    • 11 @ 7, winner @ 3
    • 10 @ 6, winner @ 2
    • 12 @ 8, winner @ 4
    After those two rounds, the games move into the traditional bowls (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta), rotating on a four-year basis, with a third-place game behind held the afternoon before the Championship game. The teams ranked 13-24 should meet in the more traditional bowls, while all the others can campaign for the remaining lesser bowls.

I fully expect some resistance to having byes, but I feel that it provides some added motivation during the regular season: having that extra week off so some of those bumps, bruises and cuts can heal a little more. No more of these nearly two-month layoffs until the championship picture and none of the major bowls can complain about diminished prestige.

Well, what do you have to say?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A. Fucking. Playoff.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

16 would not be too many. Works for all the lower divisions of football, will work just fine for the top division.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mine would have nothing to do with the bowls.

Nothing.

The bowls would be dead and buried. Dead. Goodbye to bad rubbish.
    Buh-bye

8 team playoff starting the first of December. Finish it up New Years or around there. 6 BCS and two at large. Or 8 chosen by a small committee with no axes to grind.

If you want to expand it to 16, I wouldn't get into a Texas Deathmatch over it.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think SCOTUS should decide. It worked for the presidency, and by-God, it would work for college football!

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

For this year, since not every conference has championship games, I would ignore the results of the ones that did.

Therefore, No. 1 West Vorginia would meet No. 2 Missouri for the national championship. /fanboy looser

After this year, I would have a playoff. Problem with that is, biased assholes still vote the polls, so undeserving teams who haven't beat anyone worth a damn would still be ranked higher than they should.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Exactly. The I-AA playoffs have been great this year. Only one of the four seeded teams reached the semis, with a bunch of tight games.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Sixteen is fine, in my opinion, but I could live with 12 and giving the top four seeds byes. I would prefer 16 teams and give auto bids to all 11 conference champions.

PhilaYank, why on earth do you pair the 5-12 seeds the way you do in the first round? It should be 5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10, 8 vs. 9. Pairing 5 vs. 9 makes no sense.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Assuming that the potential for bias always exists with voting and there's no easy solution, then the first thing that needs to be done is every college needs to be placed in a conference, with each conference having the same amount of teams.

Then you can take the conference champions and enough at-large teams for a 16-team tournament.

I say split each conference into two divisions. That way, stacking your nonconference schedule with pussies won't guarantee you a conference title in a weak conference. Two division winners play each other for the conference title.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's because the seeded teams didn't have Omar Cuff.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

16 teams ... and back to 11-game regular seasons with two open dates ...

1. SEC champ
    2. Big Ten champ
    3. Big 12 champ
    4. PAC 10 champ
    5. ACC champ
    6. Big East champ

- Any undefeated I-A team
    - Any Mountain West, WAC, or CUSA school unbeaten in conference play and no more than one overall loss.
    - Any team in BCS top 12

Then at-larges...
    - No at-larges with four losses
    - No at-larges with three conference losses (excluding conference champ game)

NO SPECIAL RULES FOR NOTRE DAME!!!!!! The Irish are in if they're undefeated or top 12, and if not, they have to be voted in at-large. Join a conference if you don't like it, or take your ball and go home. You are not what you were, and while you might get better, you will never be that important again.

Playoffs start with eight on-campus games on Christmas eve. Seed teams 1-16 based on BCS standings, top eight play home games.
    Jan. 1 — Four quarterfinal games on New Year's Day ... The Rose Bowl, The Orange Bowl, The Fiesta Bowl, The Sugar Bowl...
    Jan. 8 — Two semifinals
    Jan. 15 — National championship game

Move national signing day back one month.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Keep traditional bowl alliances: Rose: Big 10 v. Pac 10; Sugar: SEC v. at large; Fiesta: open v. open Orange: Big 12 v. ACC

winners are seeded and play semi a week later and regionally convenient location (preferably a college stadium), national title a week later at one of the four big bowl sites.

Draft saved Draft deleted