1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how would you fix 24-hour cable news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wedgewood, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

I would start a news channel that devotes its time to actually sticking with stories, instead of the drive-thru versions we get now. I think the best example of this is the lack of Katrina coverage, now that the majority of the boats have been removed from the trees and the bodies aren't floating in the streets anymore.

But I would really like to see this format sink its teeth into politics, because too often a politician says something that is entirely untrue, but nobody cares because the other shoe doesn't drop for six months. Case in point: The CIA leak case. Good God, you would have thought we were about the impeach Bush (I wish we would) the way this story was covered when it first hit the street. Now? It's buried beneath the weight of Anna Nicole Smith sleeping with a Bahamas official.

Anyway, I would go more NPR/PBS style and stick with stories longer. Just follow-up consistently and until the story is complete. No analysis. I'm sick of hearing every talking head "expert" tell me why they're right about everything.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Apparently, you haven't been watching much CNN. Anderson Cooper has beat the story into the ground -- and not in a good way.

3. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

Yes, but there's a difference with that. Anderson Cooper and CNN go after the dramatic/heart-wrenching/victim stories, which there certainly are many of, but I want a channel that doesn't get so dramatic with the coverage. I think that's my biggest concern -- the amount of sizzle and packaging that these cable news channels use. Just give the facts, please.

Someone on the Frontline documentary last night said it best (paraphrase): "At some point, journalism began rating itself based on entertainment value, and that's wrong."

Apparently, you haven't been watching much CNN. Anderson Cooper has beat the story into the ground -- and not in a good way.

4. Half the country believes news is just another form of entertainment now.
    Most of the people who book these programs are 12-years old.
    We can't unring this bell.
    I would suggest turning it off and reading.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fenian, just curious, when do you think that shark jumped?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The O.J. low speed chase.

7. beardown

beardown Member

O.J. blending news with soap opera. The supermarket tabloids actually broke news, and cable television hasn't been the same since.

TV is based on people and easy topics rather than issues. Anna Nicole Smith, Holloway girl from Alabama and Teri Schiavo are easier than federal budget issues, Gazprom's attempt to rule the world and ongoing Katrina coverage.

Television reporting has to improve, as well as the followthrough. The worst dumb-ass coverage I see every year are the damn wildfires threatening everybody. Then, poof, no coverage. What happened to the fire? Just 10 seconds of "firefighters ended a blaze 10 miles from Beverly Hills" would give it an ending.

8. JackS

JackS Member

Teri Schiavo story actually revolved around an issue. That was legit. Maybe overdone, but legit.

Anna Nicole and kidnapping of the day, I agree, are just ambulance chasing.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

In Europe it was nice to get CNN International (which USED to be on my satellite system here). Actual news, sports etc., and much less Larry King.

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The fact MSNBC is doing two full hours nightly from 1op to midnight on nothing but Anna Nicole Smith is simply mind boggling. Just imagine if she had actually had any talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted