1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you do on Food Network's Chopped?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I just started out thinking he was socially inept. Then came the douche discovery.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I might have been distracted by the yeast puppets.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Count me as one person who likes Gordon Ramsay when he was on the BBC but not so much on his FOX iteration. It seems to me (at least in England) he really cared about the restaurant and wanting them to be better.

Any fans of restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine? I like the premise and the quick turnaround, although it is a bit formulaic.

4. jr/shotglass

I can count at least 10 instances where I thought the restaurant owners should have punched out Irvine. He is so dismissive.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll take Ramsay over him any day. He's a loudmouth bully

It didn't help my impression of him when he was accused of having a 'creative' resume a few years back

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2008/02/resume-impossib.html

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Given that they're always pushing the deadline, I've always wondered why they don't make it a three-day turnaround. I suppose it's so the restaurant doesn't have to be closed for more than a day (probably a day it's closed anyway), but if these places are in such bad shape that they need this level of makeover, another day shouldn't matter.
    I also don't like how they've stopped including the tag at the end on how the restaurant is doing. They put a refer to the Food Network website instead. Too much work for me.

7. jr/shotglass

Oh, yeah. The construction guy. What really surprises me is that the construction guy hasn't attacked Irvine with a 2x4 yet.

As far as the lack of how-they-doin'-now stories, I believe the success stories have not been particularly plentiful. And it's particularly deflating to watch 59 minutes, and in the 60th minute, they tell you that everything went back worse than they were before about a month after Irvine leaves.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The mixed results is one thing I like about the show. There was an especially douchey pair of brothers in Stamford, CT that went out of business a couple months later. If your restaurant is in such bad shape to begin with, a coat of paint and a new menu may not be enough to save you.

I do think they do a lot of homework before they take over for the reno. I find it impossible all that work-floors, paint, changing furniture, lighting, etc. can be done in 24-48 hours. The construction guy and the interior decorators probably make a pretty penny to put up with Robert's crap.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No probably about it. He is an actor named Mark Dacascos. He played Wo Fat on the new version of Hawaii Five-O.

Also found these records of Iron Chefs.

Code:
    Iron Chef 	Specialty 	Win 	Loss 	Draw 	Total 	Win %
    Batali, MarioMario Batali 	Italian 	19 	5 	0 	24 	79.2%
    Cora, CatCat Cora 	Greek/Mediterranean 	21 	12 	1 	34 	63.2%
    Flay, BobbyBobby Flay 	Southwestern 	38 	15 	2 	55 	69.6%
    Forgione, MarcMarc Forgione 	Modern American 	3 	4 	0 	7 	42.9%
    Garces, JoseJose Garces 	Latin Fusion 	9 	5 	0 	14 	63.2%
    Morimoto, MasaharuMasaharu Morimoto[c] 	Japanese 	24 	14 	1 	39 	62.8%
    Puck, WolfgangWolfgang Puck[d] 	California Cuisine 	1 	0 	0 	1 	100%
    Symon, MichaelMichael Symon[e] 	Mediterranean 	25 	5 	1 	31 	82.3%
    Zakarian, GeoffreyGeoffrey Zakarian[f] 	Modern American 	3 	0 	0 	3 	100%

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am quickly crossing names off the invitation list for the IJAG-Alton Brown nuptials.

11. jr/shotglass

I'll send you a gift. He's not allowed to use it.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There are SO MANY ways to twist that into something enjoyable in my mind. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted