1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you do on Food Network's Chopped?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jul 5, 2012.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd probably put something up there that's edible and consider it good.

Then when I get chopped and someone is allowed to advance despite them forgetting to include a mandatory item, or not getting everything on the plate in time, I'd go ape-shit and rail on them all until I get forcibly removed from the set. They should DQ anyone who doesn't include every item in the basket, but it seems to happen pretty regularly and they often don't get tossed for it.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It is amazing how often that happens. Or the previously mentioned raw chicken type thing. It's like they have no criteria at all. Although, it was sort of refreshing on one recent episode where a guy with absolutely horrible presentation every step of the way won because his food tasted the best. I know it's supposed to be a part of the consideration and I don't want it to look like barf on the plate, but I think presentation is one of the more over rated aspects of food type things.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I am a pretty good cook, and have given thought to attending culinary school, and I actually think I could do pretty well on the show -- if not for the time constraints, that is.

I know all about working on deadline, but writing a coherent story in 10, 20 or 30 minutes is a piece of cake compared to figuring out what you want to make, and then composing a tasty dish with often-unfamiliar ingredients in that time.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I stopped watching all these phony Food Network shows a long time ago.

What's happened to that network? Other than "Chuck's Day Off" (on Food Network Canada), there aren't any shows about cooking any more. It's trailer trash TV for foodie wannabes.

Even Iron Chef sucks. They bring in a "celebrity" judge who knows as much about cooking as IJAG. :)

And Ramsay became a caricature of himself as soon as Kitchen Nightmare showed up on US Television.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can do good things with ingredients I'm familiar with.

Not only are some of these ingredients unfamiliar, they always stick a totally incongruous element in the basket.

Let's see. Pine nuts. Queso fresco. White wine. And Lucky Charms.

Go to town.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mrs. Huggy and Huggy Jr. like Food Network, I don't watch much of it except the odd episode of Diners, Drive-Ins etc., but every time I see Eat St. I get pissed at the shortsighted clowns in the local or provincial governments or the restaurant industry lobbyists - whoever the fuck is to blame - who don't see how great it would be to have food trucks here. Yes, Toronto cuisine should be questionable street meat.

And you're right, the British versions of Ramsay's shows are so much better than the profanity-laden (remember this is coming from me) shout fests that he presents over here.

7. jr/shotglass

I find it interesting that a lot of my favorite food shows are not on the Food Network, not on the Cooking Channel, but on the Travel Network.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Is there any subject on which you're not a complete snob?

9. jr/shotglass

I know I'd rather watch something about the top pizzas in the U.S. than something where they make beautifully presented, 0.7-ounce entrees.

10. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

The judges on that show are a bunch of pompous assholes. Oh, you can't taste the lemongrass reduction on my Cheerios encrusted unicorn ass? Too bad. Here's a hockey puck steak with some ketchup, motherfuckers.

11. jr/shotglass

They're not there to eat steak with ketchup. They're trained chefs with advanced palates. They're supposed to differentiate between lemongrass and saffron.

I'm sure if we're going to have a competition between the best food trucks, Adam Richman will be a more likely judge. (And I'd rather eat what's coming from there than from a gourmet tasting.)

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Saw something in the Food Network magazine a few months back, where they gave the host (Ted?) a chopped-type challenge, with chicken, frozen cherries, peanut butter and sauerkraut, I believe. I may be off on an ingredient or two, but I think that's what it was.

He made some sort of Asian-style soup that looked pretty decent. He also went pretty far over the time allotted for the chefs on the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted