1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you deal with this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Guys,
    One day this week, I handed in my mileage sheet and had previously told the editor that I needed it included in my check to help with some bills that were coming up with our move. I was told that would not be a problem.
    On Friday, I e-mailed my editor reminding her to please put the paperwork in, only to get an e-mail back saying it had been placed on my desk and would not be included.
    Now, I am royally fucked over, as I have no funds for those bills. Furthermore, I have noticed a drastic change in my editor since I gave my notice, along with an extremly combative attitude everytime I approach her about something.
    How do I handle this, now that they have fucked with my ability to close out some bills?

2. Please clarify ... is she refusing to reimburse you ever or just this cycle?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How can it NOT be included?

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Honestly, you grin and bare it. Don't make a big deal about it. They'll likely reimburse you when you leave.
    She's likely lookin for an excuse to put a bad note in your file and there's nothing you can do about them screwing you this week on mileage.
    A lot of bosses resent employees when they leave, so leave with grace, even if she's being an asshole.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Without knowing more detail and hopefully I'm not misinterpreting the post, I see this is as two issues based on stops I've been at.

-- The majority of places cannot include mileage with your check, if I'm reading your post correctly. It's a separate accounting process, so it's a separate check. Many joints also have strict dates when mileage can and can't be turned in, as my current stop does.

However ...

-- If it's a flat-out refusal to pay mileage at all, raise holy hell to whoever you need to raise holy hell to. Go over your bosses' head ... anything.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Some of that I agree with, but you also got to make sure you're paid what you're owed.

I would politely sit down and discuss it with her as soon as possible.

7. Definitely let HR know ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

leave muddy footprints on her head as you go over it...

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

my current shop includes it with paychecks. last one did it separate. but yeah, get what you are owed.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

When she's away from her desk, sit down at her terminal.
    Send a couple of nuanced -- some might call them suggestive -- emails to the Editor and Managing Editor. This guarantees a crooked smile for the rest of the day.

11. if you're relying on mileage to pay your bills you need to reassess your financial situation

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Your snarky point aside, if the dude is owed money for mileage they need to pony up.

Draft saved Draft deleted