1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you cover this situation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Tonight is the start of basketball in my area, and I've got two girls' games (the two county schools I cover) playing at different venues at the same time. Should I plan on spending the first half at one game and the second half at the other taking pictures and then worry about the stories later? For one of the school's, it is their coach's first ever game coaching girls, if that matters any in the decision process.
    Please let me know what all of you would do.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I would go to the game that has the coach coaching their first game first and then to the other one. That's your biggest story.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First game for both teams: Be at tipoff for the first game, and get a cool tipoff shot. Stay for the first quarter and mark down every first of the season by the local team: first girl to tipoff, first assist, first bucket, first rebound, first steal, first turnover, first foul, first transtion bucket, first coaching "moment," etc. Really focus on all of it. Get pics of the first bucket by the home team, see even if you can capture the first assist. Mark it all down. After the first quarter, maybe part of the second, go to the other game and shoot that and get stats afterward.

As for the first game, write a short gamer and then build a short breakout box with all the "firsts."

But make it to both games.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go to the debut game and send your doppelganger to the other.

5. Ace, that would work except no stringers.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I think you make a decision to go to one or the other if you're writing the story. If you go to both, all you'll end up with is glorified briefs. At least if you stay through one, you'll get a main story and a glorified brief.

Personally, I would rotate which games I cover between the schools. You go to one tonight, go to the other next time around.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That sucks. I'd go and write a nice story on the new coach and make sure to get a call on the other one.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I look at both teams' schedules and see who I would most likely be covering next. Then I go to the other game.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I'd do the same. You've got plenty of chances to write an ordinary gamer the rest of the season. The new coach story would at least be something different.

Draft saved Draft deleted