1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you cover a 4-day event/conference?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Jul 6, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Just wondering what method(s) you would use to approach something that seldom comes along like this.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

More info needed.

Is it a college football media days? A state summer games? A four-day stage race?

Give me some background and I'll give you my best suggestion, which may or may not be worth an awful lot.

3. greenie

greenie Member

One day at a time.

4. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Are they going to take any meaningful action? If so, do an advance story, then a day-of-vote story, then a recap/analysis story.

After that, featurize. Talk to different coaches from different countries. How does the player-development system differ?

How about styles of play? Is the left-wing-lock defensive strangle-fest philosophy in use worldwide, or are there nations where 80s-style skate-and-shoot hockey is still in vogue?

6. Drunk as an owl.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

There's a three-day event NEXT weekend in Toronto for that purpose. ;D

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Talk to as many people as possible and look for all sorts of feature ideas in the morning. Decide which one is best at lunchtime. Pursue it in the afternoon. If there's another story that you have to get in there, like a vote or a very quotable quote, include it as a notebook item in the bottom of the story. That's how I'd do it.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I worked a 4-day corporate teleconference/fashion show in June.

The Lee Harvey Oswald prison transfer was better organized than this thing.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Features, features, features. You just have to tag in somewhere that they were part of an International coaching symposium which brought together 100 or 200 or 500 coaches from around the world as the nut graph and then away you go.

Not sure what your market is, but there's got to be interest in Paul Maurice taking over the Leafs and talking about the success of the Hurricanes and how good he feels for some of the players he had when he was there. How far away does he think the Leafs are from something like that.
    Crawford with the Kings...same theme. What happened in Vancouver, what's his reaction to Bertuzzi for Luongo; notice the Kings were quick to grab Cloutier, did he push for that. He knows Burke well and they're just up the highway...will there be a strong LA-Anaheim rivalry and what's his reaction to Pronger in Duck colours.

Talk to the Swiss head coach -- what's his presentation, what's the state of the game there, what does he hope to glean from the thing. George Kingston and Tom Watt, both of whom coached abroad, might be able to give you some perspective as well.
    Just glanced at the agenda, but there have to be some interesting topics of discussion that are worth your attention. Attend and react. I'd love to have access to that many coaches and hockey brains in one setting. Have fun with it.

11. Hey, you're already hot.
    This should be a breeze!

12. Grey

Grey Member

from the bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted