1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece status?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Landis lives in Murrieta, California

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Tiger, and it's not even close.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Story moved on his hometown in Pa. being happy for him, so I guess he's from there, but now lives out West.

4. tmunson

tmunson New Member

I must be in the  minority because I'm not  sure the Tour belongs on the Sports front at all. Has anyone seen the television ratings for this? Have you ever been out in public and heard people discussing it? ... An American won. That's big news. But it's all people really want to know. I cant see many people reading a wire story about it nearly 24 hours after the event's conclusion.

I'd put a standalone photo on the front and refer to a story inside.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, you're in the minority. :)

Unless you've got a big local news day, the Tour is definitely one of the top five stories of the day: American with a bad hip wins the whole thing after being given up for dead a few days ago.

It's also a story that people who wouldn't think of watching it on TV will read to find out what happened, and how.

6. I think Tiger winning and breaking down trumps the Tour. With all due respect to Landis' amazing win, he had it won yesterday and this was merely a formality. It doesn't compete with the raw emotion Tiger displayed after he made his final putt. He was sobbing and it made Tiger human and appealing in a way he had never been before. He's been almost robotic and this win will appeal to everyone, even those ignorant masses who say stupid things like the naacp is paying papers run it.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Good secondary art with Tiger as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as play, give Tiger the centerpiece and strip the Tour de France across the top with a mug. Run a photo with the jump.

8. Re: How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece statu

There's little decision to make. Tiger is main art centerpiece. Flash our pro baseball team across the top. Landis is at the bottom of the page at best. Landis happened earlier this morning, nobody knows him, nobody cares other than it being an American who won. Tiger is the Michael Jordan of the sports world in this era, he commands bigger play.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, someone tell Tiger to get the hell out of the way and give us a better look at Elin.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Re: How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece statu

11. ogre

ogre Member

Tiger is the lead for all the reason's listed above. Except the thing about licking his balls. The tour hasn't been on our cover all month. It will be today, but not the centerpiece.

The fun part for me is laying out a three-page section today. Three for Monday, but five for Tuesday. That makes sense, right?

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Gotta go with Mr. Woods.

Draft saved Draft deleted