1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will you celebrate MLK Day?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh dear. That was unfortunate.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I spent the day with my daughter, with both of us off.
    Wife worked, but came home at 1 p.m. so we had a really cool, relaxed day.
    The nearly-4-year-old is learning to drive her Barbie Jeep in the quiet daytime streets.
    Really cool to watch.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I spent the day covering the various MLK celebration luncheons. At one, a country club in town, they recognize a couple dozen local students of 'diverse backgrounds'.

It is very much a "Caddies Welcome: 1:00 to 1:15" vibe.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, he's still employed -- not for being a racist, but a smarmy moron...

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, haven't heard that name in 20 years. He had a high-profile gig in Atlanta when I was a teenager.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I cannot stand Mike and Mike but...

As a broadcaster, you HAVE to take special care with the name "Dr. Martin Luther King Junior". When I come across it, I say the entire name, with the Doctor...and the Junior. To me, there is no sense in upsetting one person in the audience if I don't have to.

If you say his name - with the "Junior" included - too quickly as a broadcaster, you can easily jumble it up and it comes out sounding like what Greenberg said today. It's unfortunate...VERY unfortunate. Even when unintentional...very unfortunate.

When broadcasting, you have to aware of your "verbal minefields". They are everywhere. When coming across anything you think could come out wrong, you HAVE TO SLOW DOWN. Greenberg has been doing this for 15 or 20 years, right? He needs to slow down when he talks...

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I celebrated by going to my legislative district's dinner/reception in the state capital. Unlike last year when I drove practically all over the friggin' city trying to find the place and find parking, I drove to my local library and parked there and took a bus to the festivities.

They had food provided by one of my favorite restaurant chains and everyone at my table was raving about it. I shook hands and talked with a number of elected officials whom I've met when I was an editor at my old shop and when I've become simply a citizen. One person who's running for office sent one of his campaign workers over to introduce himself to me and say hello.

We also heard a number of speeches about the legacy of Dr. King.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The same way I celebrate every other holiday now: Working with no overtime.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, because I agree with the sentiment. Sure. Whatever.

No, actually, as an annual reminder to myself that everybody "wants you to be edgy" until you go headfirst over the edge.

Remarkably, though, it didn't get Greaseman fired from his network gig. It took a second, similarly themed event.

In a sense, he was the ur-Imus.

Funny guy back in the day. I don't recall his schtick having much of a racial component at all or maybe I have forgotten. He shoulda stuck with the filthy stuff.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Al Sharpton just picked up Jesse Jackson at JFK, and are making a beeline for Bristol.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Watching a documentary called "MLK Boulevard." Some guy going to a bunch of cities and reporting on either the condition of that city's MLK Boulevard or on the fight to get the city to change the name of a street to MLK Boulevard.

He and a lot of people are making a big, big deal of the topic. Hell, he made a movie about it.

Has anyone's life ever been improved by the re-naming of a street?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I can't think of a time when I've driven on an MLK Blvd and have not seen burned out buildings and urban blight. Just not a fitting tribute to a great man.

As a rule of thumb when you hit MLK Blvd you pretty much made a wrong turn.

Draft saved Draft deleted