1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will Pelosi deal with the new socially conservative Democratic reps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Simple. She'll trash them just like the puds in here do.

And she'll find herself looking for work in two years.

2. Good. Check back in here then, willya?
    You've been a fucking delight.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Bastardo, amazing. I don't give you the credit you deserve. You really do believe this vote was to embrace your exteme left-wing ideals. That's so funny.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Pelosi and the rest of the hard left Dems are going to find that it's a bitch to actually have to govern instead of just throw rocks at the windows from outside.

A good percentage of the new Dems moving into House and Senate seats campaigned as moderate-to-conservative. If Pelosi and Reid ignore them or cut them out of the plans, they'll reveal their true base to be out of touch with the mainstream and will be the minority party again by January 2009.

It's going to be fun to watch, kind of like a reality TV show where the 6-year-old keeps throwing tantrums and is then told to run the household. Hilarity is sure to ensue. Sadly, hard-working Americans will be the ones to pay the price in the form of higher taxes and the resulting down-turn in the economy.

One thing I can say for sure right now is that there are probably some brutal hangovers in the terrorist caves right now after the parties they had last night.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The Democrats found a way to succeed in the South - by actually trying to appeal to what voters likely to be helped by the party's "core values" by meeting them in the middle on social values. By realizing that someone in Virginia likely doesn't have the same worldview as someone in Haight-Asbury.

And you see it as a sellout?

I'm a pretty loyal Democrat voter, and I'm actually proud of the party today.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

As opposed to outsourced jobs and an unwillingness to raise the minimum wage past 1997 levels? Or busting unions for decades on end? Yeah, I'm sure middle Americans are frightened of the big bad tax bogeyman.

As for the second part of your post - grow up.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

If you're talking about taxation that is tilted against the rich, elimination of corporate welfare, you might have a point Pringle. If you're talking about gay marriage, as an example, check out the vast majority of votes on said referendums.

Had we been dominating the enemy in the war, the GOP would still be in charge.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Another point of humor - the fact liberals are in denial of the terrorist agenda.

9. Why would they be celebrating? They did their worst damage on the GOP's watch.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

If the Braves still had Hank Aaron in his prime, the Mets wouldn't have won the East, either. Faulty line of reasoning, especially since the GOP has been so cocksure about the progress in Iraq for so long.

I'm not interested in gay marriage right now. It's a wedge issue that the GOP has played to perfection to stir up its base, but not representative of what my Democrats care about - when I drive through the ghetto on the way to work every day, I don't think about gay marriage. I think about how policy can be shaped so that 100 years from now, when someone else drives through that area, it's not a run-down ghetto anymore.

High taxes are an effective bogeyman to scare people away from the Democrats because it's immediate and easy to understand: "They're coming for your money!" Meanwhile, the GOP can rape lower class neighborhoods with impunity by being so corporate-friendly.

I don't pretend to be an economist. I don't pretend that all the Democrats' policies are perfect. But I do know that if I choose to err, I choose to err on the side of the poor neighborhood I drive through, long-term, over the side of the local corporation that sent all those jobs to Mexico.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

For the Nth time . . .

The GOP's miserable record gives it no right to criticize anyone — the Democrats, the Canadians, the French, your grandmother, your dog — about their ability to combat terrorism.

You would think that turning Iraq into a hornet's nest for terrorists, Osama bin Laden escaping at Tora Bora and remaining free, the billions of dollars missing from Iraq reconstruction, the hundreds of thousands of weapons for the security forces that are now missing and in the hands of God knows who, the Taliban resuming its grip on Afghanistan and terrorist attacks worldwide reaching an all-time high would give the Republicans humility, or at least pause.

You'd be wrong.

And that's why a lot of them are returning to the private sector.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's funny how the hondos and old_tonys of the world like to focus on Pelosi. I think they think her first name is "Far-left San Francisco representative" and Nancy's just her middle name. If you look at her policies, they're certainly not as far from the mainstream as the Republicans' are.

We've not heard anything though about the likely Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who's about as socially conservative as they come. Pelosi has been able to work with him just fine, just as she will with other socially conservative members of Congress.

And hondo, I'll gladly trade my weak-ass tax cut for a lower student loan interest rate, which will end up saving me way more money.

Draft saved Draft deleted