1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will Pelosi deal with the new socially conservative Democratic reps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

J.C. Watts raised a good point last night on CNN - some of the new Democrat representatives in the House are socially conservative: anti-gay marriage, anti-stem cell research.

How will hard-liner Pelosi and the rest of the Democrats deal with the newbies? If Pelosi isn't careful, these newbies could throw a wrench into the mix on certain big-ticket items.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hate to disappoint many of the just-disinfranchiesed, but Pelosi won't overplay her hand, early . . .
    the delineated early program is quite reasonable, and long-overdue.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The majority controls the agenda. None of these new Dems CAMPAIGNED on social issues, they just answered with their views when asked. These subjects will not come up, except as futile GOP amendments defeated on party line votes.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pelosi will spend the next two years proving to the American people why it would be a bad idea to give the Dems full control in Washington.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Who cares? They'll start correcting the one "moral value" that matters to Democrats - tailoring the economic system in this country to narrow the gap between the rich and the poor, not widen it to Middle East proportions.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Getting the GOP heel off middle-class throats will be a good place to start . ..

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anal probes.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

:-\ Well, after mentioning this on another thread and seeing this... At least the Dems have a plan.

9. "Sir, Chairman Waxman's office is on the line for you."
    Oversight is patriotic.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm middle-class, and my throat feels just fine, thank you.
    If Bush tax cuts are eliminated, based on my income and tax liability, I'll be paying $2,000 more per year. Now that's a heel on my throat.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hondo:

If you will be paying $2,000 more if the tax cuts are rolled back, you are doing a heckuva lot better than middle-class. If you are in a state without a state income tax, you got to write off a set amount for sales tax last year, so that was another tax cut for you. With my good salary, a stay-at-home wife, and two children, I know our taxes weren't cut by $2,000 thanks to the Republicans.

The flat income and no raises are hurting a lot of people. If you make $50,000 a year, the difference between a 2 percent raise and a 4 percent raise is $1,000. With a raise, you have a chance of keeping it next year and building on it.

Heel on your throat? You right-wing, short-haired, yellow-bellied, Mother Hubbard sons of Tricky Dicky always are the first to sell people you work with out and suck up to management. Always have, always will.

Let me thank you for your constant condescending attitude that you bring to the board. How fortunate we all are that we the unwashed have you to lecture us, you of all the great awards. Thank you for your long experience in newspapers, although maybe you couldn't do anything else.

Heel on your throat? Give me a freaking break.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's funny how the Republicans are more than happy to include, in their tent, a spectrum that ranges from Alan Keyes and Jerry Falwell on one end, and Chuck Hagel and John McCain on the other, and they're all loyal soldiers to the cause, but every single Democrat is either a Jesse Jackson clone, or he's Joe Lieberman, and then he's a phony and the Dems don't really want him anyway.

Howard Dean is right. The Dems can have a big tent too. And just watch, more red states will be in play next time around.

Draft saved Draft deleted