1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will Lidle's death affect the Yankees?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Didn't want to bring this up in the accident thread because it's I think it's a separate discussion. Maybe it's too soon to have or maybe I'm being utterly foolish and naive, I don't know. If you think so, just let me know.

It seems that tragedies either create strong bonds or tear people away. Not that Lidle was a leader in the Yankee clubhouse nor that he was probably coming back next season, but it seemed he was respected by many of his peers and former teammates.

Given the makeup of the Yankees, is this something that can bring them together (i.e., win it for Cory)?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry man I think you're being naive.

Lidle wasn't very popular to start with because he was a replacement player and he spoke his mind. He burned a lot of bridges in his career.

He was a Yankee for such a short period of time and was almost surely not going to return. I'm sure they'll wear black armbands next season and probably have his wife throw out the first pitch at Opening Day. But I wonder how many of those selfish mercenaries give a crap about anything other than themselves. No group rallying cry here.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

To answer your question, the Yankees keep the Mets off the tab covers for another day or two.

Ergo, good for Yankees.

Lidle was a FA rent-an-arm anyway and he wasn't gonna be back.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm desperately trying to resist using the countless, tasteless, but still incredibly funny comments our copy desk had about this last night...

I made a rare stop in the office and the joke were already flowing...

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You mean how will his death affect the Yankees as they are hunting, fishing, playing golf and lying on the beach right now? Because they're not playing baseball.

6. bd11

bd11 Member

I think you knew the answer to the question as you included it in your post. Sadly, you are being foolish and naive, mostly for the reasons posted above.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It will mean there is an open locker. Not to sound flip but Cory Liddle was just not around this team long enough to become part of its fabric.

If you have been around game long enough you understand that most teams are a group of hired guns with little alegiance to team other than the check they receive.

One of things that made the Yankees of late 90's so good and rare was that as a group they seemed pretty close and for most part team stayed intact.

This group seemed more of a "25 Cab" type. Its the way of baseball now that most fans still do not understand.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Dusty Baker mentioned that fact when he was Cubs manager. Players used to socialize so much more in the older days, and now it seems they go their separate ways.

I do think there will be some sort of tribute paid to Cory. I don't think it will be along the lines of the locker being left as is (ala Thurman Munson), but I could see some sort of remembrance.

Would he have come back next year? It seemed like, given his background, this clubhouse was accepting of him, but given what happened to the Yankees there may have been plenty of changes that included Cory going elsewhere.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Giambi, yes, he's affected because he and Lidle are friends from way back. Not sure what the relationship was like between Abreu and Lidle, but other than that, save Guidry or Torre, I'm not real sure.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

No long-term effect whatsoever.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

The one possible effect -- if Steinbrenner, Cashman and the Yankees lawyers can pull it off -- could be clauses in contracts in the future banning piloting a plane. Possible?

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Does the CBA allow for such clauses, such as skiing, motorcycles, etc?

Draft saved Draft deleted