1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to write when something happened

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

If a vote at a city council meeting comes after midnight, should I write that the vote was taken March 2 or March 1, when the meeting started?

I am writing a story previewing a ceremony Sunday formally renaming a street, which came as the result of that council vote. One vote was cast against the renaming.

I'm thinking I should write, "The City Council voted 4-1 March 2 to approve the name change."

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

The meeting was March 1, but it lasted into the early hours of March 2, when the council voted 4-1 to approve a meaningless name change that will do nothing to reduce crime or increase literacy in our city.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

You could say "... voted at its March 1 meeting." The fact that it lasted into a second day is contextually irrelevant. If you absolutely have to be specific about the day of the vote, it's March 2, but I'm betting it's not important. Don't confuse the readers if you can avoid it.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"... voted 4-1 in its March 1 meeting, which was longer than usual and ended after midnight."

Draft saved Draft deleted