1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to write an article about a sucky season?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Posey_Lynn96, Sep 10, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Can you tell a noob poster to get me a beer if they are fronting as a high school student?

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Posey sounds like a poseur. How could any team have lost 16 of anything in a school year that just started? And, the tone of their third post, like sgreenwell said, is a dead giveaway.

Just sayin'.

3. Garner

Garner Member

Feel free to peruse and critique:

Wilson stands out in trying Chicago St. season

Bad teams eventually come to the realization wins and losses don't really matter.

Jonathon Wilson and the Chicago State Cougars reached that point two weeks into the season. Facing strong Division I talent every other day, the team is 0-21 this year, having been outscored 213-58.

Despite the gloom and doom, the Cougars have seen three bright spots — aside from 10 days in Hawaii earlier this month — in an otherwise dreadful season.

They've lost two games this season by a single run, including a 3-2 decision against a powerhouse Hawaii team, and the club is outscoring opponents in the ninth inning by an 11-2 mark.

The third and perhaps most encouraging sign has been the play of right fielder Jonathon Wilson. The former St. Patrick-St. Vincent High standout is hitting a team-high .291 for the Cougars this season, leading the club in doubles (5) and RBI (8 ).

"I've felt pretty good this season," said Wilson, a transfer from Napa Valley College, where he was a two-year standout. "I mean, we've lost a lot, but I've been able to play in a lot of different situations and contribute on offense."

Starting each of the Cougars' 21 games this season, Wilson is the only regular contributor on the team's score sheet. Sifting through the wreckage of a recent 17-4 drubbing, Wilson went 2-for-4 with an RBI, and he's strung together modest five and six-game hitting streaks this season.

Shifting from the third to fifth spot in the batting order this season, the talented fielder has some pop in his bat and makes good contact, causing opposing pitchers to take notice whenever he steps into the batter's box.

"He's been our most consistent hitter this season," said Chicago State head coach Vern Hasty. "I've been trying to slot him in where he'll be most effective, but I wish I had a couple more like him to fill out the roster a little."

Chicago State's overmatched roster isn't their only worry; the school is a Division I independent this season after leaving the Mid-Continent Conference, of which it was a member since 1994. The baseball team has had trouble drawing opponents to their home field, resulting in a heavy travel schedule. The Cougars are scheduled to play 55 games this season, with only six of them on home turf.

The team played its home opener — nearly six weeks after the season began — Tuesday night, dropping an 11-1 decision to Northern Illinois. Wilson managed a couple hits, raising his batting average a couple points.

"There weren't many people there," Wilson said. "Most people around campus probably don't remember we even have a team."

Playing schools from Hawaii to New Orleans to Virginia, the Cougars are on the road every other weekend, and sometimes for long stretches. That means whatever lovable-loser quality the team could possess is lost playing in front of hostile crowds.

"It's tough being on the road so much, but I guess it's just preparing me for the big leagues, right?" Wilson said, laughing. "I'm just enjoying the chance to play so much and having fun with it. We get to see a lot of different places, the coaches are great, and the guys always make it fun."

Taking it all in stride, Wilson is making the best of a difficult on-field situation and enjoying whatever comes his way, wherever he happens to be. When asked if he misses home cooking being on the road so often, he answers the way most college students would.

"My fridge is pretty bare right now, and I probably eat a lot better on the road."

From a nutritional standpoint, Wilson's playing for the right team.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wow. i think i was suckered ... and i don't get suckered all that often.
    now i want that 10 minutes back.

Draft saved Draft deleted