1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to write a gamer...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Aug 25, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I tripped over worst-played, actually. That should have been fixed.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I am nobody's son.. and I fucking know what editorializing is....and I agree with others. Beat writers most certainly analyze and editorialize.. the best ones just know how to do it right. You're telling me you're good enough to take THAT out of Hal McCoy's story? Seriously.... the man who never worked in Cincinnati, but has long been considered the go-to guy for the Reds because he's that good? Son, you're not that.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think we do readers a disservice when we editorialize. I don't think ANYONE gets a free pass unless it's a column.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

It's essential to allow the room for a beat writer, especially once like Hal, to analyze what is going on.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Here's an excercise. Describe Michael Phelps achievements.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Then you're really out of touch and part of the problem with newspapers.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I actually thought this line was pretty darn good: The videotape is going to Cooperstown as one of the five worst professional baseball games ever played.

Oh, and what makes anyone think that readers will be able to figure out if something is editorialized or not? I mean, are you serious? You really think this is possible? Readers can't differentiate between "article" and "column."

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You don't understand that market. People expect you to give the Reds hell when they stink up the joint. Hell the radio crew leads the parade there.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

His gamer tonight should be a gem is Oswalt beats the Reds ... again.

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Hal McCoy and the radio crew are the only thing that make the Reds digestible.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Here's what he wrote ...
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/27/ddn082808spredsweb.html

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, it's Nick Masset.

Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted